View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree my electric fuel pump was not mounted low enough and was an install issue, but if I were to have installed it below the fuel tank then it would have been ripped off the first speed bump i went over. a correctly designed electric fuel pump would be installed in the tank and not external. I agree after two months no more fuel. One blast of ether, or for you younger guys starting fluid would fire it right over, doesn't smell bad either LOL. All good points my never failed I just got so tired of trying to orient so it wuld not loose it prime in addtion to the constant buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
As far as helping on startup, you float bowls should be full of fuel so it will not start any easier with or without an electric pump. You have a bad battery or charging issue.

We need the Mythbusters here.
Float bowls are not full of fuel after a two month or more layover for maintenance or weather. Ask me how I know. The Optima is now six years and is 12.7 at the terminals and 14.5 at fast idle.
The mount location of your electric was certainly the reason it would not 'hold prime'. No pump will 'hold prime' more than two or so weeks-the length of time for fuel to evaporate from the bowls.
This caused you to swear off electric pumps and advise others against them. A correctly mounted pump will pull fuel as soon as the switch is turned on even when the system has dried out.