View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I also seem to recall that the 331 capacity is a nice one for a balance between torque and 'rev-ability'?

Thanks again,

Merv
Merv, You are correct. The 347 was all the rage then as it is now and it is a great engine. However, at that time some folks were having problems with the 347 with blocks cracking down the valley and some had oil consumption problems caused by oil ring intersecting the gudgeon. Not so much of a problem now with newer pistons and ring sets.

The block machinist suggested 331ci and claimed a higher horsepower with less torque but an engine more willing to rev and that's exactly how it performed.

It was however an engine which required low rear gears to allow the revs to build quickly.

At that time I lived at Newport Waterways on the peninsular and this mate used to announce his pending arrival by winding this mustang out on a few twisty bits entering the estate and not touching the brake until he pulled up outside.

The thing would make beautiful music as he worked up and down the gears. Lucky I had some rev heads as neighbours.

Last edited by Rebel1; 05-11-2009 at 03:37 AM..