View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1986 Autokraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default MkIV Big block

AK1131 is my MkIV. The car is wonderful. Powered by a modified 302 / 350HP.
The car is not a dragster with a 3.09 rear but still turns 0-60 in five seconds.
The mods of aluminum heads & intake, Holley, shorty headers, billet pullies and removal of the Cats. This has also reduced the weight to approximately 2,200 pounds. The car handles exceptionally well in a very predictable old school style.

Of the 386 MkIV's built, seven were factory equipped the 427's and one with a 429. There were also 46 rollers or SWE per the registry as Shipped Without Engine. Most of these were very early car or ones being race prepared. A few had big blocks installed. One sold in the Detroit area a few years back with a vintage 427 installed. The car was pale metalic blue with hood scoop and side pipes. The MkIV was built on an improve MkIII footprint so the installation of a big block is pretty straight forward. The tranny and rear ratio are changed to accommodate the extra power and the suspension is adjusted for the added weight. 183 built for the US market.

As with the original Cobras, the MkIV was expensive. On my car, the Ford / AC window stricker showed $47,900.00. The original owner (I am the second) traded a 1974 Ferrari 246GTS Dino even for the AC at $45,500.00. It is nice to have a pedigree.