View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraviper_99 View Post
The point about the primitive Lucas/Rochester fuel injection units in the 1960's is well taken, however, there were other conventional carburetors available to Shelby back then which could flow plenty of CFM, even more so in dual-quad configuration. Competition 427 Cobras ran a single Holley, as did L88 Corvettes. Shelby's guys still chose to run the Webers.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have never driven my car from where I live, Cape Cod--which is dead sea level--to a 6000 foot altitude. But I have driven to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts on numerous occasions and never had a serious drop in performance. Granted, the disparity in altitude is more like 3000 feet, so higher destinations could require adjusting the setup. I would welcome the challenge.

Andrew, you will be thrilled with those Webers once you get them tuned up, especially if you're any kind of authenticity freak like me. Good luck and get ready for a real thrill ride.

One of the reasons for the single Holley was they had the center hung float, where the dual Holley's required the shorter carburators that have the side hung floats. The center hung floats are not affected by the cornering forces as much as the side hung floats.