Thread: The POOL ROOM
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Merv, I totally agree with your comments regarding the desal plant. Total waste of money. I do agree with recycled sewage for industrial use only ... ie the power stations etc.

However, I'm not yet convinced another dam is required.

Lets just examine the current operation policy with regard to Wivenhoe. Dam capacity as reported refers to potable water levels. However the dam has a further capacity as reported in my previous post of 1.45 million megalitres. ie. More than the total volume of potable water.

Now, once we collect and store this 1.45 million megalitres or part thereof what do they do with it? .... open the gates and just let it flow away.

Why not send it somewhere for storage until needed?. Why pour away such a valuable commodity?. Why not pump it to another storage?

The main problem has been that we have not enjoyed the significant rain events that history proves are not reliable. As the previous link claims .... It's not a drought in SEQld ( Although the bureaucrats would like us to believe there is one) we are just missing the significant rain events needed to fill the dams. Note, of late it appears these significant events are returning.

An argument used is the different geographic area. That is a weak excuse as every dam in SEQ. has been low irrespective of where it's located. We (Brisbane) had to send water to the gold coast when the Hinze went down.
Same to Toowoomba.

So again, the problem has not been insufficient storage.

Sorry about the ramble.

Last edited by Rebel1; 06-01-2009 at 10:53 AM..