View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
I've been going to car shows for most of my life. I started out following my Dad to Model A Ford events as soon as I could walk. I carefully listened to everything he said and early on I learned to spot the seemingly insignificant differences between a '28 and a '29, a '30 and a '31, etc. I regularly attend local shows for British cars, Mopars, Corvettes, Mustangs, '55-'57 Chevys, etc. I just love the cars and talking to the owners.
Two things from Dad's wisdom I remember most about car shows. First, be careful what you say aloud at a car show. The owner is probably within earshot, and may overhear your comments. "If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing at all." Second, "Do Not Touch. The owner has a lot of time and effort in the car, and the last thing you want to do is damage some guy's pride and joy."
It never ceases to amaze me how spectators today have no qualms about touching, leaning over, even opening the door of a show car. My Dad would have immediately yanked me to the side and given me a firm talking-to, and threatened to leave me at home the next time. I think parenting skills have fallen by the wayside somewhat lately. Few respect another's property anymore. It's no wonder society has the problems we have today, if behaviour at a car show is any indicator.
+1,000. There are some people who have absolutely ZERO etiquette. None!

I haven't even had my car that long, and I need a calculator to add up the number of times people have come up to my car parked and literally had to touch it to see if it really exists or something. Drives me nuts.

Regarding "snubs", I think there are "snubs" in every marque. Ferrari owners used to snub the 246 or anything with less than 12-cylinders, now it's chic. Now they snub 308's and 348's.

Porsche owners snub anything that's not a 911 (i.e., 928, 914, Boxster, etc.).

Tiger owners snub anything that's not a Tiger.

I owned a mid-year Vette and other Corvette owners would literally run their fingers underneath the fender to figure out whether you had the original fiberglass seams. Heaven forbid if you owned a Vette with a one-piece replacement front end.