Thread: TKO 600 noise
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum_101 View Post
i see that the throw out bearing is always spinning even while in neutral, is it supposed to be like that? i alway thought that the thro out bearing only spins when you press the clutch in.
When the TO bearing contacts the pressure plate's release fingers only then should it begin to rotate (along with the PP assembly). As the TO bearing continues to move forward, the pressure on the release fingers causes the force of the pressure plate's springs to push away from the disc. When you take your foot off the pedal and engage the clutch, the TO bearing moves away from the pressure plate and the springs then engage the clutch to the flywheel. The TO bearing should then be stationary; it should not rotate with the pressure plate.

EDIT -- Here's a link to an old post of mine on how to adjust your clutch. Before you yank the bellhousing off, try adjusting your clutch (although the fact that it sounds like you can "wiggle" the fork is slightly concerning.... Clutch slipping question - HELP PLEASE! (about half way down the page)

Last edited by patrickt; 06-16-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added Link to Old Post of Mind on Adjusting the Clutch