View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

prob have 10 reasons to take it off and only a few to keep it, right now.

i think it is more complicated then it needs to be, prob aimed at the street crowd who use boost, nitrous, and need a host of switchable stuff--the guys who drive on the street and do 1/4 mile at a time. the programming and support and instructions i would say are not there for somebody like myself who does not have any experience. the hardware is too fragile imo.

i learned a lot and would do a better job if i were to do it again, wouldn't be accel though. support wise--if you know somebody who is fluent in your system, and willing to help, and will take the time to help, you're prob alright. i couldn't find anybody who would take the time, the guy who i bought the system from would email info, but only what i would ask, not any background or if i did this then do this kind of stuff, nothing intuitive. the instructions and how to from accel are very lacking. the software had idiosyncricies such as some tables were accessible sometimes and not others, or you could only access if the calibration was downloaded to the laptop and then reloaded to the controller.

the car ran pretty good, started fine, but the last few details like cruise and getting the tables exactly where they needed to be eluded me.

the last email with the guy i purchased it from he suggested i buy a pro key since i was coming along pretty well, i had to laugh at this one. the other day i pulled into the shop and there was a warning light flashing because i had set a code and i took this as a sign to ditch the system. when i pulled the distributor there was something rattling around inside, which turned out to be 3 plastic parts and a 3-prong diode looking thing, this was a new accel dual sync distributor with no more than 5 hrs. run time, this is the kind of stuff i'm talking about when i say accel is junk.

efi is nice if everything is working properly, but i also considered if i'm away from home or at the track, and something is amiss, i have to hook up a laptop and reprogram or find the electrical problem or wonder if it is the black box, and there is nobody to help--who is the nearest guy who knows anything about the system that can actually look at it and not shoot emails back and forth. carbs and distributors are very, very simple.

like i said, the car started and ran good from the get go, accelerated great and could hit 120 pretty easy, but the accel efi setup did not live up to my expectations. i tried.

right now i've got a rpm air gap dual plane intake on with 1" open spacer which should give me the down low torque and high end power and going to use a 1 wire hei style distributor (no msd), pretty simple.

good luck.