View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft View Post
Greg How many mm are you out by. As like Mike says little bit of the caliper (i removed the logo) a little bit off the wheel, might be enough. Hopefully it is not the 15mm that your spacer is.

ROG246 The using of weights while in Gregs wheel seems alot even when you balance heavy side of tyre to light side of wheel I still needed a number of weights. Is this not just the accepted way to balance a wheel tyre combo. Especially when the wheels we play with are so wide. What else do you do

Bruce
Heya Bruce, it wouldn't be acceptable where I used to work, & certainly not too me . Unfortuneately a lot of people in the game don 't think about the actual fitting procedure, especially if it happens to be a busy period. Had you come to my shop I would have said to you ' O'kay I want the wheels & tyres here early in the day & you won't have them back till tomorrow PM. Tyre fitting has always been looked upon as semi skilled at best, and yet a far as 20 yrs ago it was recognised by the industry that with the trend to larger dia wheels & low & ultra low profile tyres fitting skills would have to improve in leaps & bounds........and they haven't in the avg. shop, more's the pity.
The use of proper bead lubes, pre check rims for balance & runout BEFORE tyre fitment should be done as a matter of course, at it all takes time-time is money so the rule is/has pretty much always been " get'em in & get'em out asap"
All good tyres & rims for that matter have their high & low spots marked by their respective makers so that properly trained fitters can do the fitment correctly.
If you ask your tyre shop who trained your guys, they'll say we do ! You should then ask " SO, WHO trained you ?!"
It does make a difference !! Sounds a bit like I'm having a whinge but I'm not I'm just telling how it is....more's the pity !!