View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default B and B Header Install Question

I don't have any build documentation on this issue so I'm asking for help from anyone that has built a B and B roadster and had a situation where the left rear header tube is hitting the drivers foot box.

I decided to mock up the engine/trans/rear axle without the body to make sure everthing is aligned and set up correctly. I have the four link adjustable heim joint rear suspension so I needed to determine engine angle to set pinion angle correctly. I installed the engine and trans, but left the footbox /firewall in place. I have a 302 engine with T-5 trans.

I installed the engine mounts and tack welded them at the exact measurements from the K member B and B gave me. From the K member to the mount tube, right side 14 5/8' left side 14 3/4". The engine is dead level side to side. The frame is level side to side and front to back and on stands. At this point the left side header cannot be bolted up without really forcing the foot box to the rear. I can move the mounts about only 1/4" forward until the starter area of the bell housing would hit the frame notch out. The trans tail shaft is also centered in the frame.

Has anyone run across this. I guess the last header tube could just be bent wrong. I couldn't find any pictures of that part of another car.

Opinions, suggestions?

Thanks
Wayne