View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     
Cool Final Victory

Excellent!

Thanks for posting the link to the historic race film.
What a different view of the race compared with the video "The Snake and the Stallion". It is almost like two different races. One from the view of Aston Martin and one from Shelby.

Shows that truth depends on who tells it, and how, eh?

Did Shelby mention (in the video Snake & Stallion) that Aston had taken 2nd place twice at the 24 hr. ('55 & '56)? He makes it sound like David Brown had no hope of them even finishing the race, let alone have any chance of a good finish. And did Shelby mention that Stirling Moss set such a fast pace leading the race in one of the 3 Aston factory cars that all the factory Ferrari team cars (11 of them!) were out of the race long before the end, and that the only Ferrari's still in the race were privateers?

Shelby gets most of the credit for "winning" the race where as "The Rest Of The Story" is that his co-driver Salvadori who started the race and drove for 14 of the 24 hours, had put the car in the lead and kept it there for hours, or that Shelby drove the last 2 hour stint to get the checkered flag. Do they mention in Snake & Stallion that the other surviving Aston took 2nd place? I can't remember now.

I do enjoy reading, or in this case, watching the historic film of races and it is most interesting to see films shot by various teams, countries, or individuals. It would be really neat to see a Ferrari film of the race. It would be so totally different than the Aston or Snake films...

Beautiful cars indeed!

James