Thread: The POOL ROOM
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

As some of you may now I recently had a holiday in the UK, you also may know I am a keen golfer.
Well no trip to the UK would be complete without at least trying to get a game of golf in somewhere.
In the preceding weeks before leaving I had done some checking and been in contact with StAndrews golf club in Scotland, with the intentions of a round on the old course.
It turned out that since I was a single golfer (no playing partners) my best option was to turn up on the day and put my name down as a reserve.
I arrived at StAndrews at about 4pm one evening and went straight to the starters box and he confirmed everything I had been told, he also advised to get in early as the spots can fill up fast.

So the next morning I arrived at the course at 5.30 am to find myself 5th in the cue, the first guy arrived just before 5am.
The 4th guy said he was not coming back until after lunch to play so I thought looking at the draw I would be out at about 9.30 - well the guy arrived back at about 9am as he said he was too excited to do any thing else.
The first 3 players all played by 7.50am, then the next slot was about 9.30am, sadly it was StAndrews members and they did not want to take anyone with them, so that bumped me back to 11.40am, but that was ok as it put me with a guy who was 6th in the cue and with 2 south africans.
It is best if you can look at a map while reading this.
Wind was blowing a constant 20mph from the east.
First hole - Drive down the centre 254yards, 2nd shot was P/w of 115 yards, hit it onto the back of green, 3 putts for a 5.

Second hole - Drive to left centre of fairway approx 250 yards, 2nd shot 8 iron to front of green - 2 putts par 4

Third hole - Drive up left of fairway, 227 yard drive. 90 metre knock down P/w to within 3 feet - made the putt for Birdie 3

Fourth hole - Drive 257 Yards into the Sutherland bunker, played out sideways to middle of fairway, 130 yards to go, P/w and 2 putts for a bogey 5.

Fifth hole- Drive to left centre of fairway, 257 yards to the hole, 3 iron - long green and pin toward back (1.5 acres of green on this hole) Ended up on front of green 47 yard putt, 3 putts for a par 5.

Sixth hole - Drive to left rough 250 yards, 9 iron second shot onto front of green - 3 putts for bogey 5.

Seventh hole - Drive approx 270 yards, Between Hill and Shell bunkers, Chip with a wedge approx 70 yards, front of green, 3 putts again, bogey 5.

Eigth hole - 6 iron to the right of green, 3 putts yet again, bogey 4.

Ninth hole - Drive 230 yards, 70 yards chip with wedge, and again 3 god damned putts, bogey 5.

41 total for front nine.

Tenth hole - 300 yard drive to the left of centre , chip and 2 putts Par 4.

Eleventh hole - 6 Iron short left of Strath bunker, chip on and 2 putts, Bogey 4.

Twelth hole - Good drive over trap (last one in the centre of fairway) - ball drew into the wind to the left, ended up in gourse bush, took a drop, chipped with P/w and 1 putt for a par 4.

Thirteenth hole - Good drive up the middle, about 10 yards short of Cats bunker, hit 9 iron to the right of the green and about 1 yard passed the pin (just passed the green side bunker), chipped in with sand wedge, Birdie 3.

Fourteenth hole - Hit a good drive up the middle, had 240 yards to go, caddie warned of trouble short of the green and advised a 9 iron well left of hell bunker, hit it exactly were he advised, had 143 yards to the pin, hit a great 8 iron, landed on the front of the green, rolled within inches of the pin, Caddie advised great shot, got to the hole and found it had rolled through and was in the small pot trap at the back, chipped out sideways, 3 putted for a 7.

Fifteenth hole - Another good drive over Mrs Grangers Bossums, 137 yards to go, hit a 9 iron - ball held up against the wind, Ended up on green well left, 3 putts 5.

Sixteenth hole - Worse drive so far, hit a fade and carried right on the wind, ball was inbounds by 1 metre. 121 yards to pin, hit a 9 iron did not hit it well and came up short, chipped and 2 putts for bogey 5.

Seventeenth hole - Faded drive ofer the hotel, ended up on shell grit path in a cutout for traffic, hit 5 iron short of bunker and green, great chip onto green within 1 foot, putted for par, 4 .

Eigteenth hole - Great drive up the left of centre (just left of last ridge in fairway) 140 yards to the pin, hit an 8 iron, came up short and ended up in the Valley of Sin, the pin was cut short and about 1 foot above the top of the valley.
I played a sandwedge and hit it great, landed on the top and rolled about 6 foot passed the pin.
Made the one putt for a par on the last with a crowd of about 40 people watching who all gave a big cheer when I made the putt. Par 4.

Back nine 40
Front nine 41
Total 81
Handicap 9

Nett total 72

And here is some proof.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.