View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default d.i.y.

Rog

I had the engine and ECU harness from the purchase of the engine and only had to connect a few cables to get the motor running. After going through this process, I thought I should be able to wire the rest of the car.

I started with a piece of A3 paper and drew a battery on it. I added the connections I had already included for the engine (fuel pump, HEGO, ECU etc) and the wires joining them. I then added the fuse box, lights, indicators, horn, wipers, washers etc to the diagram and slowly joined them with wires and relays.

Once I had a (albeit rough) diagram, I started at the battery and joined it to a set of fusible links. I joined one of these to the fuse box (with half via the ignition switch for accessories). From there, I attacked one circuit at a time, running wires, checking voltage, installing relays etc until I had that circuit running. Test and check then onto the next circuit. Any issues I identified on the way, I would change the diagram to match.

Once I had run all the wires, I taped up the vehicle loom as a whole. I also made up a loom for the dash using a similar procedure. Connect the dash loom to the vehicle loom with a few plugs and voila!!

The biggest issue I had was testing just about every circuit and scratching my head as to why it wasn't going, then finding that I hadn't installed a fuse!!!

For me, the wiring was one of the most rewarding parts of the build. It took me about 8-10 full days part time over about a month to get it all done.

Cheers

Geof