View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     
Default Caliper Upgrade / brake line inuslation?

I am considering upgrading my car, used as a show car and cruiser, from GM Metric OEM calipers, to after-market SSBC dual-piston metric calipers in the front. I just want to bolt off, bolt on, so I am looking at an exact replacement part with performance improvements. I want to get opinons and want to know if this is going to require any "hidden" changes? MC changes? Anything beyond what I see?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A181R/

Lastly, maybe it is an unwaranted concern. I see it on many Cobras, like mine, the brake lines loop over (about 12" to 16" away from the top and about 3" from the inside of the fender) from the driver side headers to the MC's. I am considering using heat insulation on the lines from the frame to the MC. Any suggestions?

And before you ask, am I having brake problems? No. Can the braking be improved? Sure, as with anything, and I am trying to prevent problems (heat insullation). Assume everything is in working order - this is mainly a question in upgrades. I have learned the hard way to post these questions here first before I go out buying....and re-doing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Xavier; 07-22-2009 at 11:20 AM..