View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

I have solid motor mounts now, I have been using them for only a few weeks with no issues. Honestly, the virbation is no worse than it has been, I do not mind it at all. Its a Cobra for Lord sakes, not a Lexus. I did this to prevent my filter from hitting the scoop every now and then when I really punch it, I do not want to give up my air filter and have to go to a smaller one, and I am reading everywhere about the eventual side pipe problems that will occur from the engine rotation (flange cracking, mounting cracking, welds snapping etc.). It just seemed like good preventitive maintenance, but like everything else, all the peolpe who don't have one, and who never used them, said it was a huge mistake. All with zero experience (like me) using solid mounts.

I chose solid motor mounts because it was cheap ($39.99) and there was really no nice way (nothing I would be happy with) in mounting a torque link. A lot of time and headache and money from something I would be pleased with. And I know I would never disconnect it for "cruising". Who am I kidding? It would be connected all of the time.

But I have been reading else where stating that solid motor mounts must have a solid trans mount, the twisting of the trans mount, however slight, will eventually cause the trans case to fatigue and crack, which did make sense to me. If the engine stays still, and the trans moves, eventually something is going to give. That did make sense, although I never heard of anyone using them.

In short, I have been second guessing myself and needed a little reassurance that this indeed is not for everyone, but is hardly a bad thing. Getting more launch to the rear wheels is just a bonus.