View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Ride quality is dependant on a lot of facters: tire size/design/pressure, shock/spring package, and suspension design.

15" tire will be "softer" than 18". Tire pressure for any size should be around 24-26 psi.

You probably have the gold Pro-1 shock. It's an excellent and trouble free part. But it can be a little harsh. Especially if you have 600# springs. Place a cable tie around the shock rod (the shiney part) Go for a normal drive on average roads. Take a look at the tie wrap. It should be at about 1/3 up from the bottom. If it's all the way at the bottom, then your springs are night stiff enough. If it's up near the top where you put it, the springs are too stiff.

Gordon's shocks are the best; Fully adjustable Koni's. They're also the most expensive (you get what you pay for). If you plan on open ttracking or autocross, you should consider these. I'm using the non-adjustable Koni's from FFR, and it did make a big improvement when I switched from the Pro-1's.

IRS is probably the best bang for the buck. The differance in ride quality is like night and day. Solid axle rides like a buckboard compared to the IRS. Give that upgrade some serious consideration.

As for the power steering, that's always a big point of contention. If you're into autocrossing, you'll definatly need that. For anything else, it's just personal preferance. I don't like it because it adds weight and complexity, and another fluid to keep track of. Leaks are common. It also costs about 25hp at the top end.

But, you can get a dramatic improvement by switching to a Flaming River manual rack, instead of the stock de-powered rack.

Like Rich said, comfortabe seats are also important. if you're sitting on a piece of wood (or fiberglass), don't expect a comfy ride. I'm very happy with the optional FFR Street Performer seats.