View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry if you feel I was messing with. I was asking questions about things I'm not sure of. Realize this clutch I have could be 15 to 20 years old . This car was started back in 84. My Mcleod Long Style presure plate doesn't look like any of the Long style presure plates shown in their latest catalog. It doesn't have adjustable springs. It has 12 springs and someone at McLeod had written with a black marker pen( 2,100 LBS @0.300" ) last tim it was there being repaired. It has the clearence cuts outs like the ones shown in the Borg & Beck picture. What would be the clamping force on this herky Long style presure plate you mentioned? Not ever having a Diaphram or Borg & Beck presure plates before, I'm tyring get some insite. The catalog doesn't make any mention fo the clamping forces. Is 2,100 lbs a light spring presure? All I could deduce is the current heavey long presure plate you are in favor of must be around 2,600 lbs. Am I wrong?
Just looking at the picture of the Borg & Beck Long style presure plate, the cover just looks heavier and less likely to distort under the high spring presures exerted. I can see it has a different bolt pattern.
My experience was back in 68, I put a 406 in a 55 two door sedan. As I remember the factory 11 1/2" persure plate had places for 9 springs but only had 6 springs in use. I remember the clutch shop In DesMoines IA, dissassembled the presure plate, removed the 6 original springs and installed 9 heavier springs. That presure plate was a leg full. I know the springs are color coded but I couldn't tell one from another otherwise.
I wanted to find somethings out and form some of my own opinions before I made a decision and spent money. I started this thread when the car was still running and I was just concerned about the seemingly rapid wear and need for almost constant adjustment. I now blame it's failure on the life expendancy of my clutch disc was was up and had worn beyond its prime. I plan on a new disc a little larger and with different materials. I've never had a clutch disc with linnings of anything other than continous organic material.
I found 2.5.92 stamped into center area of flywheel and 3-12-92 stamped into the cover on the presure plate. SFR 0171 is stamped into both flywheel and presure plate.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 08-08-2009 at 11:20 AM..