View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default TREMEC TKO 600 shifting problems

Thanks guys for all of the comments.

I do have the standard SPF set up except I do have an adjustable clutch slave activation rod.

Most people that I have talked to conclude that if the clutch were the problem, I would be having trouble shifting into all the gears, and that I would hear grinding sounds. I have no trouble getting to 2nd, 4th or Reverse and no grinding sounds. It feels like there is just no gate to shift into 3rd.

I have tried removing the boot and there is no external restriction on the shifter movement. I have the original TREMEC shifter.

I changed tranny oil on the recommendation of a transmission technician from TEXACO Mercon to the GM Synchromesh oil PN 12345???. The tranny shifts noticeably smoother when it does shift, but still hangs up occassionally.

I have found that when I have the problem going into 3rd, if I shift back to 2nd or 4th and then back to 3rd without letting the clutch out that it usually will not go into gear. However, if I shift back to 2nd or 4th and let the clutch out, then reengage clutch it will usually go into 3rd. Is this a clue I wonder.

I do have Quicktime Blow proof bell housing. How can this be adjusted? How can it effect the shifting? Why would this problem start after 2300 miles.

Thanks again
Lon SPF 2798