View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default 460 w TKO 600 set-up

I am using the 460 crate with an OEM iron 429 bellhousing and TKO 600 with Mcleod components for clutch and HTOB. My experience (with new style HTOB (2006) has been no issues so far. The reason many folks struggle is that set-up is time consuming and must be performed correctly. Any over stroke of the HTOB piston will cause leaks and is commonly due to installation error (pedal stoke and correct MC are required). I did in fact have to mock-up with 3 different length pistons until I got the clearance right. (thats why I like SUMMIT, no hassle return policy). Bleeding with a vac pump with the HTOB piston seated in bottom of its bore worked quickly for me to evacuate the air. External HTOB has valid advantages but my chassis is very tight for clearance so I used an internal design. What I would like to find is a compact OEM designed (proven 100K mile reliability) HTOB that will bolt up to the TKO 600. Perhaps someone can chime in here who is using a Ford or other HTOB on their 429/460 application. The challenge with this 426/460 set-up on mine (same for top-loader transmissions using the short input shaft) is the bell housing is so shallow at 6.25" and limits our HTOB options, at least back in 2006 it did. You guys running the 429/460 with TKO set-up please chime in with your set-up.