View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jody View Post
PJ - I didn’t see you make reference to already having this, so if you do already have it please forgive, but here is some recommended reading, even before you begin disassembly, and possibly before purchase if this isn’t getting to you too late.

“How to Rebuild Big-Block Ford Engines” by Steve Christ (ISBN # 0-89586-070-8)
The chapters are:
1. Do You Need a Rebuild?
2. Engine Removal
3. Parts Identification and Interchange
4. Teardown
5. Short-Block Reconditioning
6. Cylinder Head Reconditioning
7. Reassembly
8. Installation
9. Tune-up

So you’ll know it when you see it, It’s a yellow book, with big red lettering at the top, and a big blue FE staring at you from under the hood of a blue car. With a new one for less than $15, and used ones for less than $10 on Amazon, it could be the most valuable “part” you buy for your project. It was worth that to me just in the peace of mind in identifying the 390 short block I bought for rebuilding, not to mention a great source of historical information on all FE engines.

It’s an older book, with tons of pictures, so ideal if you are rebuilding stock. But regardless of rebuilding stock or modified, there is a wealth of information in there, and if your sons are helping it is a great teaching tool (“Yes son…real men do read instructions) or you could keep it hid, and amaze the kids and impress your friends at parties with all of your newly acquired FE talk.

And as another source of information in summary form, if you can find a source of back issues, is the Spring 2005 issue of Muscle Car Review. The article there is “FE Performance Guide” by Jim Smart. In the upper right corner of the cover it states “Big-inch Fords: A Guide to FE Engines”. Since this magazine is I believe a compilation of articles from the Primedia family of auto magazines, the article may have began its life in some earlier monthly magazine of theirs, as it refers to 2001 as present day in the opening sentence.
I hope this helps. - Jody
Thanks, Jody. I bought the Christ book a couple of weeks ago, and there sure is a ton of good stuff in there. My older son is reading it now. I will keep a look out for the magazine as well.