View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 2136 Build Log

The Build Has Begun ...

This was my first visit to ERA (8/27/09 & 8/28/09) and I have to say, I was so impressed by the people and the product! Peter and the guys were very gracious in answering my questions and they showed me around and explained the whole process. The attention to detail and the quality of the cars is amazing.

I walked through all of the buildings, and got a first hand look from the molding of the bodies, to the fabrication of the frame, to the bonding of the body to the frame and final assembly after the car comes back from paint.

As luck would have it, the body for my car was in the final stages of being fabricated, and early Friday morning, I was actually there when it came out of the mold ... it was very cool.

Below are photos of ERA 2136 fresh out of the mold ... the shot from the rear was taken after some rain and you can see how the water beads up from the wax that is used as mold release, so that the black gel coat paint does not stick to the mold.

Next step is the chassis ... Peter & Crew are making some tweaks to the car to get all 6' - 4" of me to fit. We did some mock ups and took some measurements to use for my car.

If anyone visits ERA in the near future and has a camera ... please ask Peter to point you to 2136 and maybe take a few photos of the frame for me? ... thanks!

Once the frame is done and bonded with the body ... it's off the Connecticut Custom Car for paint!

After decades of dreaming and years of planning, construction of my car has begun. About (2) years ago, with the full support of my wife & family, I embarked on this journey that has ultimately led me to ERA.

Thanks also to all of those Club Cobra members, that have helped along the way to get me headed in the right direction and to help figure out what was right for me. I have more questions yet to come!

I'll update this build log from time to time ... comments and suggestions are welcome!

I am enjoying the whole process, but really looking forward to getting the car on the road and driving the dream!

- Tim

ERA 2136 Fresh From The Mold -- 8/28/09

ERA 2136 Headlight Detail -- 8/28/09

ERA 2136 First Rain -- 8/28/09