View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8806 View Post
Did you dial in the bell housing? What was you runout numbers?
The runout numbers were withing the error that could be caused by surface irregularities in the bellhousing hole, so they were not a factor.

T
Quote:
ypically, hard to get into 1st gear points to a clutch issue while hard to get into 3rd usually points to driver error. Now, before you guys jump on me for saying that, consider this.....
The gates on the TKO are very close together. When shifting from 2nd into 3rd, if you move the shifter up at an angle trying to "guide it" into 3rd, you will likely miss it every time. Try throwing the shifter STRAIGHT out of 2nd and it will find 3rd on all it's own.
That may be true, but I have a history of being able to shift almost anything that can be shifted. I'm well aware of all the different methods of pushing the level, and this transmission had real issues going into third.

Quote:
When did you buy this gearbox? There were some issues with the shift lugs back in the summer of '05 that Tremec has since cleared up

I bought the transmission about a month ago, and it was fresh inventory.

I tried to post a link to my summary of what I went through but it was not accepted. Bottom line is I pulled the case apart, and sent the shifting forks and shifting rail system up to Liberty's Gears in Michigan. They did not modify anything other than the shifting rails and dogs and one shift fork.

With NO OTHER CHANGES in the system I re-installed the parts, and now I never miss when I shift. I can shift at 7000, i can point and push, i can let it fall in, and it never misses.

There is no doubt at all Tremec has not fixed the "non-problem" that can be found mentioned all over Internet in all of the transmissions, because my transmission was clearly the problem with the shift rail issues that Liberty's Gears claims they see in over 100 transmissions a year. Since what they did fixed mine, I now believe the "nearly 100% correction" rate for bad shifting they claimed is probably true.

It's my understanding they weld up and re-shape some parts, increase some spring pressures, and do a few other mods. Had I listened to the shop Tremec sent me to I would have spent over a thousand dollars changing parts that made no sense. The absolute proof is, with no other changes, it works now. It also only cost about $200 to fix, since I tore the transmission down myself.

They really should fix the problem, or at least pay for the repairs.

Tom