View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittleton View Post
I totally agree with RJ, going from 2nd to 3rd is nothing more than pushing the shifter lever forward and it will go right in. Many of the Demo's that I do with customers, they must be thinking of their Hot Rod or the 69 camaro and you had to physically put the lever into 3rd gear. Typically if you have a shorter lever, I find it more difficult to change gears, the longer levers that our Backdraft's have, make for a really nice shift. I belive that there is a kit from some of the suppliers of TKO that have different sychro's. I'm not 100% on that.

Bill
First, the feel while shifting slow is entirely different from the feel while shifting fast under acceleration. My transmission felt very good and was easy to shift while granny-shifting.

It could be we are talking about two different cases.

Respectfully, I disagree with the long shifter totally Bill for faster shifting. It argues against what many people say the problem is, the operator guiding the shifter.

A short shifter is much more difficult for the operator to guide, the springs and gates in the transmission have much more control when the shifter is short. As the lever is made longer, any driver push error (to the sides) has a larger and larger effect at the gate.

If I had a shifting system that required the gate to be controlled by internal springs (like the TKO 600), I would use a short lever. This would give the springs in the transmission more control compared to pressure errors made by the operator.

As a matter of fact Liberty's actually told me to never use a long lever on the TKO-600. They said to use the shortest handle possible, and to use a ball. Fortunately that's what I already do. :-)

Tom