View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default belly pan added to jbl

hello all

been to the track a couple times and as always, there are little things that have to be adjusted or modified.

with some pretty mild weather temps at the track fluid temps have been higher then i would have liked. i had added a radiator shroud to enclose the front and push air through the radiator and take pressure off the engine bay, but it seemed to have the opposite effect of raising coolant temps. as richard described it the air was stalling in front of the radiator, or not enough pressure differential from front of radiator to back as i describe it, same thing i think. i took the shroud off and engine coolant temp returned to normal. also, oil temp was a little high for amount of time on track, 240, this was running oil through oil to water exchanger, and probably stressing the engine cooling also.

so what i did was install the traditional oil to air exchanger at the front, running oil from pump to oil to air exchanger, then through oil to water exchanger. street driving has shown the temp of oil to be little higher then water so far.

i also reinstalled the front radiator shroud to take the higher pressure off the engine bay (i could see the hood bulge pretty well), and installed a full length belly pan, hoping this would provide the pressure differential and pull air through the radiator. i was discussing this with a neighbor and he mentioned the 928 guys would have overheating problems at the track if they did not use the front tray, so that was kind of an incentive.

i used .040 sheet aluminum for the pan, a full sheet is just about required, around $55 and worth it imo.

so with the pan and shroud installed and driving on the street, the engine temp climbed so very slowly to 180 which is the thermostat setting, previously the temp would go to 200+ easily with just the shroud. the oil temp slowly rose to just over 180 which was expected.

next stop will be the track to see if everything works as planned, i think the full length pan is one of the better cost to benefit additions.

aero is supposed to be much improved also.