View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 - #783
Not Ranked     
Default ERA #783 - with questions

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking for about 2 years now, recently started posting, and am now officially getting into the forums. I’ve had my first deposit on an ERA 427 in since June, with the chassis number set in mid August. I’m looking to do what in my mind is the ideal original 427 S/C, and I know that is very subjective, with the best drive possible. For example, as much as I like the original colors, I’ve had the stereotypical white stripes on dark blue in my head since I was about ten years old. Also, I’m doing an aluminum block FE stroked to 482cid with a 5 speed transmission. Otherwise, it’s mostly based on the comp cars with the rivets, S/C dash w/o glove box, jack pads, etc. You can see a general option list below.

ERA #783
Pond 482cid hydraulic roller
Tremec TKO600 w/0.64 OD and 3.54 rear ERA dif
Competition front brakes
Vintage 6-pin Wheels with MT Sportsman S/T Radials
6 inch oil cooler with remote filter
Indigo Ink Pearl w/ White (shade TBD) Stripes by CT Custom Car
Riveted hood scoop with rivets around front of hood
S/C dash w/o glove box
Smiths gauges with reverse speedometer
Stainless side pipes with ceramic coated primary pipes
Powder coated chassis
Chrome driver’s side roll bar and chrome jack pads
Dual pusher fans with heavy duty fan
Sun visors and wind wings
Trunk mounted battery
Quick release steering wheel
Rear fender spats
Turkey Pan

I have a ton of questions, but here are the two foremost in my mind as trivial as they are. I don’t think there are right answers, so I’m really looking for opinions.

1) I’m planning on spraying the entire interior and trunk with Second Skin Audio Spectrum and Firewall for noise and heat suppression prior to carpet. I’m going to do undercoating/bedliner in the wheel wells. At the time it goes to paint, CT Custom Car can finish the inside of the trunk lid vs. covering it with the felt liner provided by ERA. So, do I have them finish it or do I noise suppress the trunk lid and cover it? Would the noise suppression make much of difference on the trunk lid? Yes, I know the exhaust will drown out most noise while riding. I'm looking for a more solid feel when opening and closing the trunk.

2) This one is a little more controversial in my head and I keep flip flopping between the two options. I want to drive the car year-round. While I do live in FL and it is usually a balmy 80 degrees here, it does get relatively cool here in the winter at times. Also, I may be moving back up north in the next few years depending on employment. I am getting the heater/defroster mostly for state requirements should I move, as I know it doesn’t really do much to keep you warm. That’s why I’m considering installing seat heaters, with the switches integrated into the dash if I can use Lucas switches, otherwise under the dash if I need to use the aftermarket switches. Part of me says it would be nice to have the heaters; the other part says it goes against the idea of the replica and just adds complexity to what is a beautifully simple car.

I'd also like to be able to drive it without worrying about the frequent rain here in FL, so the idea of a bare interior vs. removable carpet is a consideration and I wonder if seat heaters would complicate this.

OK, I think that is a long enough post for now.

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your opinions

Last edited by Mooch; 09-19-2009 at 03:37 PM..