View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
I'm thinking of doing the 3.54 rear with the 0.64 5th because cruising in FL means 80-90mph. Yet again I might be moving back to the NE, where cruising means 70mph, in the next 2-3 years. I've been considering the 0.82, and if I go with it then the question is whether to go with a the 3.54 or the 3.31 rear.
Of all the choices you will make, trans/rear gearing will be one of the most important. Why? Because it's a reasonably large PITA to change and you will be unhappy if you make the wrong choice. There are tons of threads on here discussing it, but remember that the characteristics of your engine down around the 2000-2500 range will make or break the deal.

Quote:
For the seat heaters, my wife enthusiastically votes yes we should have them. Even for 50 degree weather. So that might swing the vote.
Then I would absolutely, positively get them. Even if I knew in my heart that I would most likely never use them, I would still get them. That's an investment that will pay dividends.

Quote:
Regarding the noise suppression, it isn't for actual sound, but more the vibration sense of the car. I like being able to knock on an aluminum panel and have it sound dead. Then again, is may be not be worth it for that either. What I'd really like to see is if the Firewall helps with cabin temperature.
The noise suppression is, IMHO, a waste of time and money (even if we're talking $250). The insulation that ERA installs is pretty good stuff. In my car, on really hot 95+ days, the heat does not come through the firewall, or bother my feet. But when the fans come on, and you're not moving, you can feel the heat come up around the windshield and doors like a hot wind. Again, this is one of those choices that, other than spending money, isn't going to hurt you. If it's a couple of hundred bucks then I say go ahead and do it. Because, if you don't, the first time you're slightly uncomfortable you'll think back and say "that damn patrickt, if it wasn't for him I'd have that extra insulation and I'd be happy now instead of sweating."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I think I need to just ignore 5th altogether when running around in the 80-90mph Houston madness. I have heard that its a $1000 to swap the .64 for the .82, definitely not worth it, I'd change the rear ratio first.

I do like the way that torquey 294S cam takes over at 2k/70 mph mark and just pulls and pulls and pulls. And by the way, I pounded the absolute snot out of it today for 200 miles with the final timing and carb settings you and I discussed and with that new fan, it never got over 90*C water and 105*C oil. Runs great.
Revisit the gearing issue next year at this time. In the meantime, congratulate yourself on fixing that overheating issue. That was a pretty big deal.