View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotz View Post
I'm starting with a Factory Five. I know there needs to be some significant glass work to the body, but I'm ok with that.
Well.........I'm not trying to pee in anyones Cheerios here, but........
You're wanting to build an originality based car, and you're starting with what has to be one of the least original looking cars out there. Have you really thought about this? FFR's are great cars, really they are. They have many strengths, but originality is definitely NOT one of them. By the time you carve it up, hide the Frankenstein rocker panel body mount bolts, try to cobble together a decent looking original style interior and perform the Jenny Craig procedure on the perky butt, you're near or past the cost of a more original looking style car. Really, you need to re-think this if it isn't too late. If you can't spring the bucks for an ERA and you're stuck on building it yourself, at least look at a few others that are really only a small bit more on cost to a FFR kit, and certainly at or less money than the FFR after all the major surgery. Have you checked out cars like Unique, Premier, etc? Premier (out of Kansas City) is little known but builds a great looking car. Unique is very popular as well.

FFR guys, please don't start a rant, I'm not knocking your cars. There are many things they do well, and yes, with enough money and effort they can certainly be made to look vaguely original. However, this is not their forte, and it's a whole lot more practical for an originality based build to start with a more original looking car. That's all I'm sayin'. I can feel the FFR artillery inbound already.....