Thread: Dream Come True
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I like green so as you can guess I like it.

There is nothing intrinsic in manual rack and pinion steering that would create unwanted feedback. There are a few factors though.

Did you bump steer it, front and back? By definition, bump steer alters the wheel steering angle with vertical movement.

Have you tried different tires? Tires are part of the spring/damping equation and those may be a little too stiff. I know they are common here because of their availability in suitable sizes.

Which shocks are you using? Some shocks are just too stiff at higher frequencies (the frequencies of bumps) and cause all sorts of stuff to be feed back. We just changed shocks on my wife's E320CDI, and it is night and day. It goes over potholes and steel plates that caused the whole car the shudder as if they aren't there. On the Armada forum, a change to Bilsteins in front removes a severe steering wheel shake for many (my DD is a QX56). Bilstein racing will put together a custom length valving shock (that takes a coil over kit) for under $200. They are on my super late model which runs under a $150 shock rule.

After so much effort, just a little more tuning.