View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Self identity my man, self identity. Obama, like many others I've talked to and known around the country struggle with their heritage. Especially true here in Hawaii where mixed race is a big factor for MOST folks. Who am I? Portagee? Fillipino? Hawaiian? Oh boy, Hawaiian gets tricky ALL the time, from a legal as well as ethical stand point. Very very few 100% Hawaiians left! At some point Obama embraced the heritage of his choice, he associated himself with and was comfortable with his chosen path, that of a black man. I don't see that as any different from a person who is only a fraction of a Hawaiian, embracing their heritage and declaring themselves to be Hawaiian. It's all about how you see yourself and what image you want to project.

1/4 Cherokee indian here, I thought it about that when I was growing up, my heritage, what if... Kind of like someone asking me where I'm from. I've lived in some many places, have traveled so extensively, my FIRST thought is, "I'm from America."

No question, the rest of the world see's Obama as an African American. Good or bad, that's the way it is.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-24-2009 at 02:28 PM..