View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
We dynoed my engine back to back with a 1050 Dominator and a 1650 cfm Wilson throttle body (with spacer). The manifold was a highly modified Victor Jr. The Dominator made 819@7600 and the EFI made 806 @7600. The theory was that the additional cooling provided by the fuel vaporizing upstream with the carburetor may have been responsible for the improvement. Formula 1 engines (several years ago, I am not sure what they do now) had the injection nozzles above the intake trumpets in the plenum probably for the same reason. The location of the EFI nozzles in the intake track on my manifold were not optimum due to packaging which may also account for the difference. The EFI did have a fatter more consistent torque curve and does not crap out under high G stops and cornering. That is the main reason I went with EFI. It also starts much better because it doesn't flood the engine when you move the throttle like those twin 50cc accelerator pumps do.
Any thoughts on the idea of power gains that a difference cam that was optimized for fuel injection might have allowed?