View Single Post
Old 12-03-2001, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Genuine original Unique MotorCars 427 S/C, with a Genuine original Ford 427 Side-oiler.
Send a message via Yahoo to Cobranut
Not Ranked     

Cal,

I originally used the McLeod hydraulic T/O bearing, which eliminates the clutch fork, pivot, and all external linkage.
This setup is functionally identical to that which Ford uses on many of their late model vehicles. (My Explorer has a similar setup and no problems in almost 200,000 miles.)

When it works, it is exceptionally smooth and has a relatively light pedal feel, considering the monster pressure plate I have.
However, the McLeod unit has failed twice in 1,300 miles. Th efirst time an internal seal got rolled out of its groove and cut. This time, an o-ring on a banjo fitting deteriorated and leaked.

Since the slave is mounted concentric to the input shaft, the trans has to be dropped to get to it.

That's why I decided to go to the more conventional setup. At least if it leaks, I can fix it in a few minutes.
The biggest hassle is the external slave is right where I originally mounted a torque limiting chain, so I had to design a new mount for that. (There's always something.)

I should have it back together tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how my clutch feels then.

Later,