View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question You already ahve the wiring for added fans

Gunner if you are not racing and have a splitter or the added small twin fans in the car, you shouldn't have any overheating problem. Bob at ERA has made sure that the raditor and fan with splitter or opitional fans would be more than needed to cool any 427 and up motor in an ERA cobra. If you build a schroud for your cooling fan this will help even more. I run the twin front fans because they look neat. The splitter works better than the fans at speed. Which radiator are you running, copper or aluminum? I started with copper and with racing went to aluminum. Thermostat is another issue with the motor running cool. 180f IMO and I use work about the best. Too much timing or running too lean will also raise the coolant temps of the motor. ERA doesn't recommend rapping headers with header wrap. I have the pipes coated and have them wrapped for 12 years, they are a little rusty but the temps where lowered 15f under the hood.
I think if you check with ERA you will find out if your car has the extra wiring for the second set of coolant fans.
I do agree with you about amp gauges being not the best gauge in the electricial system. Have to remember that in the old days and that ERA's replica car is very close or original cars electric system. I know that my amp gauge would pin when some thing turned on or the starter was engaged. Check for a 2 wire connection on the l/s of the under hood harness by the alt harness, you might be surprised and have them. Rick L.