Thread: PCV setup
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default PCV setup

I've read most of the PCV threads here. Most seem to hash over the basics well enough, but I have a "too much" situation.

To register 707 in California, I'll have to have a proper PCV setup with a closed crankcase ventilation system. BAR will reject anything else. The car (originally registered in MA) has closed valve covers and a rear breather. It also has a front filler.

Since one valve cover will have to breathe, it means I have to buy a pair of covers with twist-lock holes in them - I will probably go with the cast "COBRA 428" ones from Branda.

That means I have too many damned holes - one in each cover, the filler, and the breather. Since ANY PCV installation is non-original, I want to install something that is both attractive (as far as it can be) and serves the engine's needs as well as BAR's. So I'm thinking about this setup:
  • Twist-to-push on converter in each valve cover.
  • Push-on closed cap with tube vent on each valve cover tube.
  • Emission hose from each VC cap to hardline fitting through the turkey pan into the bottom of the air cleaner. (I'm actually thinking about a T fitting just under the pan on the non-linkage side, both hoses connect to it then vent through the hardline into the air cleaner.)
  • PCV valve in breather port, emissions hose to intake fitting.
  • Closed filler cap.
(There are twist-on closed VC caps, but they're huge and ugly - hence the two-part solution. Push-on caps are more attractive and more correct for the era.)

Anyone have a better idea? Should I just block off the breather port and put the PCV valve in the other valve cover? That's a little more standard but asymmetrical and ugly (IMHO). I don't mind swapping minor pieces around all day but I'd rather not change out the intake.

I know I could set something else up, simpler, and then put all the present pieces back, nice and original... but I do believe in the value of PCV so I don't mind making it a permanent modification. I just want to do it as right as possible in all ways - functional, smog-passing, visually and even using proper era components. All thoughts welcome.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =