View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Canton in my car

Gunnar,

I choose the Canton over the Mocal on the unproven assumption the Canton resistance to fluid flow MAY be lower due to the size/volume of the internal cavity and the large passages in the thermostat capsule. Maybe. One of the pictures shows the thermostat capsule and a little of the internal bypass holes.

Really comes down to which one you think you can install with good hose runs, ie: fewer acute angles and no cramped hoses.

You can take the Canton apart, then the oil cooler inlet/outlets segments on the housing can be clocked at 90 degree intervals. Made this installation much easier. My oil cooler hose inlet/outlet's are 180 degrees to each other on the Canton housing. Canton sells a bracket that uses a steel strap, works quite well. Allows a little movement, the oil hoses are stiff enough nothing can flex or work too much, but they are still free to move a little and not get pulled or twisted.

Thermostat is worth it for me. My oil cooler has been blocked off with cardboard (high strength card board thank you) for years. Oil temp was always too low, barely off the peg to 160 unless it was 85+ outside.

Now, with the thermostat oil temp is up from the old ~140/150 to 170+, street driving in traffic. When you do finally get moving, it tends to stay warm instead of dropping back to zilch.

Was at "Willow Springs" for an open track last Wednesday. Air temp was 75-80. With the oil cooler still blocked off, and 9 quarts in the pan, the oil ran 200-220. On the front straight is stayed up ~200+. Normally it would drop back very significantly. Temps stay more stable now.

My car is a 289 FIA but several of the ERA 427" cars have Cantons installed so you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

Pete
Attached Images

ERA 289 #2027