View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Bob, I have not physically analyzed a bearing shell's metalurgy but last I understood, they still contain lead, Im not 100% sure. If you are using pump gas, there is no lead there. If you use another racing fuel I guess its possible. I dont know what your engine oiling system set-up is (dry/wet sump) but a component in the system could have traces of lead (oil tanks,fittings/valves/pumps etc) but you need "friction" to remove the lead metal from a surface, it doesn't just float off the surface into the oil. The only way to know for sure is if you know exactly what brand of cam, con rod, and main bearing shells Ford used in your build if this is a crate engine. Perhaps they can share who their bearing supplier is/was, you really want to speak directy to the bearing guys not a FOMOCO tech line guy, IMHO.

UPADTE: I now am 100% sure, they still use lead.

Clevite section cut of a modern performance bearing shell is found in this link to the MAHLE catalog for Clevite bearings. take a look. its all you wanted to learn about bearings but were afraid to ask. They still contain lead. Its the third layer on the TRI-ARMOR shell.

http://www.mahleclevite.com/pubs_detail.asp?c=1&id=108

Last edited by kitcarbp; 10-21-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: added link