View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sound like a solid motor

PLDRIVE Depending on HOW deep your pocket is, has alot to do with building a cobra with either a SB or BB. For a street car, either motor works great, they sound different depending on the camshaft and exhaust on the car. For a track car, the windsor motor is cheaper to build, more race parts, and better machine shops to have the work done on them. You can get great power numbers from them 600-800HP with good parts. The catch is this, the more you stress you have on this motor the shorter the life it has. SB HP range is higher than most BB motors except for Cammers. Weight of between motors is about 50-70 pound with All aluminum motors from front to back. My Shelby complete was 496 minus oil.
A weber 289 looks perfect in a FIA cobra. An FE motor looks better in an SC body cobra than an FIA. The stroker 351 in the orignials did not have a place in the history of cobra racing and is making strong cases today.
IMO I would but happier with a 6,000 rpm torque motor with 600ft of torque than a 600HP at 7,000 rpms. The fact of having 100+pounds of rotating mass is a disadvantage compared to you 68-72 pounds in the same lite car
Your stroker should live for many years with good maintainance and cutting open oil filters and check for any metal. As others have said, warming a motor up before beating on it and my favorite of having a preoiler before startup and use it on road courses will help in the long run. Good luck with the car, hoping to see it run on the track, roadcourse not 1/4 mile. Rick L.