Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Why?

I am of the opinion that, ...

...(Has anyone ever shown that, all other factors adjusted, one plug truly outperforms another? Worth a single HP?)
Tell you why there Gunner...

While you don't say what you base your very expert opinion on, I can tell you what mine is based on.

In a two year period I documented the dyno results of approximately 520 street and race, aluminum- headed engines. The power ranged from 350 to 1157HP. The displacements ranged from 302 to 705 cubic inches. The designs were Ford, GM and Hemi based.
All were run on 416's. On LS type engines the choice was Accel 526S. The prototype builds for each engine combination were tested with Accels, Champ, FR, Bosch and NGK's.

Worth a single HP you ask? The Accels proved to yield 4 to 6 more HP and did so with clean, repeatable results with no degrading in performance under extensive (18 or more pulls) testing. At master WD pricing they were also the least expensive. Champions proved to be the least consistent -reading plug on every combination. Not what you want to optimize a combination. The NGKs which are essentially the same plug showed near identical results to Accels. Only their premium pricing made them less attractive.

I didn't say a word about tip design. On certain customer hot street or bracket race engines we trimmed the ground electrode back as the Pro Stock guys do. There was no need to regap them at any mileage interval-I've run them in my SO for 6 years with the grounds trimmed and when it's time to replace them, their gaps have not degraded. That's street and race usage.

The real reasons to use them is they make more power over a longer service life and they always tell a true story of what's going on in the chamber.

-And that's no BS.