View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I think the window on collectibility on these cars mentioned above won't be for 10 to 15 years. With time many of these cars will become even fewer in number. Example, the FGT in the 3 years since they were last produced roughly 500 have bit the dust with roughly the same number now residing in other countries. Extrapolating out at 5% a year gets us down to close to 2000 cars in 10 years or so. Thats less then many muscle cars that are now collectible from the 60s and 70s..

Also...Once the cars become seen as collectible many owners also choose to hold rather then sell reducing the available pool of cars to buy even smaller thereby driving prices up.

I think all the cars mentioned have a good chance of attaining that collectible status. Not all will make the cut, however but some will become collectible and some will become very collectible.

I still think initial desireability and limited production are key and the best bet at vaulting a car to collectible status. Thats why I chose the three I own. The Z8 is also a great example of these two factors. Initial desireabilty was through the roof only to tail off later and the numbers were fairly limited. I agree that the Z8 has the right stuff to be a collector car.