Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wheel well insulation?

What material is recommended to apply to the underside of the wheel wells/Fender to proctect against flying/clinging debris from the tires? I saw that on the orginal AC car but stupid me - didn't ask. Thanks for your help.
Will the 3M bonding spray glue work to apply it?

Cracker
Old 06-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Cracker, my foam padding should be arriving from Kirkham anyday now. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Three that I know of

One is closed cell called Nitral (I beleive) and it is sold under the name of Star Gaurd. Other is any dense closed cell type foam that will hold up. Butyl and Nitral type products come to mind. Both are put on with a 3M trim type adhesive. The other choice is something like 3M rubberized undercoating and the truck bed liner type material. Be aware of overspray on these. 3M general purpose adhesive remover should take care of the over spray. Truck bed liner shops will do your wheel wells for you. There is also a brush on truck bed liner. I don't recall the name but I do recall it was a little on the pricey side. Cost? From $20 for the el'cheapo auto parts store undercoating to a couple of hundred for a shop to do it. I am going with the 3M rubberized undercoating based on posts that I found doing a search here at CC.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I also have several cans of the 3M rubberized undercoating just waiting to be sprayed in the wheel wells.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I could be wrong but...

from the damage I saw on this car the undercoating would not have helped. My car currently has this coating but I am planning on running the "Coba" tires on the street and the owner said they cling and throw the rocks and stuff up very hard. I am talking about an area of 3x6 inches of no paint - just nice aluminum. In my case I don't want the spider cracks or worse to occur. Thanks for your replies.

Cracker
Old 06-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Yeh, but........

I would think that anything that would blast paint off, will rip up foam to! The 3M stuff is very, very tough. Sandblasted at 90 PSI with no visable loss of material.

On the other hand. I thought the foam idea was a very interesting notion and would go that route if the inside of my wells was aluminum. Just can't stand to cover up that aluminum! Plus I have heard this about original cars running a foam type product.

By the way, I drive on Hoosier Street TDs and when I get into some gravel it sounds like a cement mixer. So I will be eager to see how much it helps. Please, if you go the foam route, let us know how it works out in the noise department.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-05-2003, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Yard Dog FFR 521, 572 Fire Ant Mongrel Cobra 393, 566, Boss 600 hemi , RCR40 #13 348
Not Ranked     

I was indiscreet enough to slip my hand under the skirt of John W's car, and it was a foam product about 1/2" thick, not applied in the front where the boulder hit. Had prevented some damage. John Holt showed me some similar material from his Porsche race car, GT I think, after a couple of races - large holes in the foam material and fender damage. Then he showed me some rubber sheet about 1/8" thich, heaver, but seemed to perform better. The rocks hit your fender with near the speed of the car, so light materials fail quickly. I bought some of the rubber sheet, $50 to do a car or two, and hope to put it on before the Willis - will let you know how it works. Goes on with rubber cement from Home Depot.

edit - Perhaps if you don't run through creeks with your car, the light material will work

Last edited by John Owen; 06-05-2003 at 04:43 PM..
Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the reply

John,

It sounds like we have a mutual friend or at least connection. John Houghton is a good friend of mine and when I was descibing your car to him it rang a bell. His mother-in-law works with your wife or something and had heard about your car in progress but never made it over to see it. When I get my car up and going (engine shop says 2 weeks now ) we need to hook up so John can see your terrific car! Where did you get this rubber matting material? Thanks!

Tony Hull
Cracker
Old 06-05-2003, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Yard Dog FFR 521, 572 Fire Ant Mongrel Cobra 393, 566, Boss 600 hemi , RCR40 #13 348
Not Ranked     

Yup, same car - small world - let me know when you are ready to roll and we will do something. Please wait until I try the stuff, don't like to recommend something without first hand experience.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neoprene, like the stuff coozies are made of 1/2' THICK, GLUED ON.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you!

Cracker
Old 06-06-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

Cracker,
I used a product called "Gator Guard" by Eastwood Co., see my photo gallery. Did it after the paint job, have to really mask off everything. Its bed liner material. The thing about undercoating is that oil, fuel, and other products will disolve it. This stuff is tuff and should do a great job protecting the fenders. DupliColor makes their bedliner material in spray cans, Qt's and Gallons. I used it in the trunk area and all under the car, works great.