Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I Want A Cobra

Yeah, so does everyone. I have wanted a cobra for 15 years and have tried to make it happen several times. My problem is I can't afford a $25-$30K car. I would like to find a project that someone does not want to finish or has lost interest. I am mechanically inclined. Recently, I found one that was awesome but the person was building his own frame. It was awesome but more than I could handle. Please email me or respond if you know of an inexpensive project car that I may be able to develop over the long haul. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. I saw an older, unfinished Factory Five kit go for under $10K recently. They are out there, you just have to be ready to buy and be diligent in looking.

Joe Weight

The Ultimate in Aluminum Bodied Replicas
Old 09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Have you looked in the "For Sale" section? I have seen a few cars there lately that need completion, they were less than $20K.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Here is a great place to start!
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Yes...Factory Five Racing has their basic kit for under 13,000. If you want one bad enough and are good at finding your Mustang donor parts, this is a good way to go. You just gotta do it all yourself. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Please give immediate response if have ideas

OK. Here is an issue. I have a buddy who told me about his neighbor. Neighbor has FF body with frame that he was building. It has the rear with quick change ford rear, new. The front suspension is in and absolutely beautiful. He has been very maticulous building the frame which still needs a lot of work building roll cage and completing under engine, passenger compartment, and rear. I am amazed about his work which he did from a blue print. I can get this with some metal and an old 351 for $3000. Problem is that Im not a welder and this guy seems to be an engineer. He is very good. Any ideas I welcome because I told another friend who will buy tomorrow unless I come up with a way to complete. This would be my dream car. Call me if you have a great game plan. 678-614-5579 or respond.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Travis,

Unless you have the skills to take up where this guy has left off, my advice is to wait and save your money until you can afford a complete kit.

Bill S.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you want a Cobra on your budget you must learn to weld, fabricate, do paint & body work, as well as all of the mechanic duties. The car mentioned above sounds like it may be a race version. I'd hold out for a complete kit if possible.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

See if you can buy the kit and get the guy to help you build it. You never know..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
See if you can buy the kit and get the guy to help you build it. You never know..
Doesn't this one have a vague resemblance to an unfinished kit being sold in Georgia or North Carolina for 3K that may have been posted here and on Ebay in the past? Can't quite put my finger on it, but I've heard this one before.....

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Yes, I agree to some degree. That is what i saw is fabricating the frame and drive shaft, etc. He is very maticulous and has done an awesome job. I met him and saw the product and very impressed with both. I just did not want a good situation get by if i could figure a way to make it happen. anyway, i will continue following the dream and take your valued advise. his was the same; he did not want to sell to me because he knew the same as you have advised. i doubt this was on ebay, he is against that. Anyway, it is a pleasure talking and thanks to him i have this resource to keep an eye open for opportunity. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Reasonably Priced SPF on Ebay

Here's a SPF on Ebay, current bid is quite low. It has blemishes that need to be buffed out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Patrickt that was pretty funny but doesn't really help me. I definitely see your humor. That needs more than a buff. Anyway, thanks for your concern for my desires. Anyone with constructive ideas on getting the described car together? Thanks for the feedback thus far.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I sent a PM. I am considering selling my almost done Midstates, let me know if you are interested.

Brandon
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

As stated before, your best bet is going to be to keep your eyes open for an unfinished kit and make an offer on it. I've seen them come up very cheaply at times and often you get the kit with a number of additional items like engine, tranny, rear end, wiring harnesses, etc... that would be extra otherwise.
If you find a Factory Five kit, you can save a bunch of money by buying a wrecked Mustang and using all the donor parts the kit is designed to use.

In any case, you'll be into the car at least $20 K by time you get done even with the best of intentions and great deals on parts. Depends a lot on how good of a shopper you are and if you are mechanically astute enough to be able to use everything you can pick up cheaply, or refurbished parts you can do yourself.

Good luck on your quest. Don't think building from scratch will be any real savings either. By time you get done you won't have any real savings at all- I know this from experience.

Bob
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAENTHUSE View Post
Patrickt that was pretty funny but doesn't really help me... That needs more than a buff.
Hmmm, now that you mention it you may be right. I bet it comes with an interesting story though....

Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

There's some good stuff to be had out of that wreck, including the drivetrain. What is the story, does anyone know?

Last edited by Traveller; 09-04-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
There's some good stuff to be had out of that wreck, including the drivetrain.
There was some concern on my local forum about the integrity of the passenger's side roll bar and how SPF has it fastened. Note how it is hanging.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts 302 HO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAENTHUSE View Post
Yeah, so does everyone. I have wanted a cobra for 15 years and have tried to make it happen several times. My problem is I can't afford a $25-$30K car. I would like to find a project that someone does not want to finish or has lost interest. I am mechanically inclined. Recently, I found one that was awesome but the person was building his own frame. It was awesome but more than I could handle. Please email me or respond if you know of an inexpensive project car that I may be able to develop over the long haul. Thank you for your help.
LET'S MAKE A DEAL: I live in Georgia. I just sent you an e-mail. You can see some pictures in my gallery, but I can send you plenty more. I went back to work full time after I bought my project and don't have time to work on it.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i looked on your gallery. I would like to see more pics and if you can tell me exactly what you have and what all is included. i do not know if we can work something out but i am excited just to see possibilities. is the frame completed. your other cobras look awesome. look forward to talking to you.