Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > AC MKIV

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 1 Post By 1985 CCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2023, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Which is the real AK02 factory prototype...?

There are two, maybe three, different cars on the interwebs claiming to be the Autokraft MkIV factory prototype "AK02". Can anyone here clarify which is the real AK02, and what is the story behind the others?

In Jun 2012, the Arts & Revs dealer in Luxembourg offered a blue "AK02" (since sold). This car matches the 2009 AC Owners Club registry entry for AK02: it's painted blue with black leather interior with a carbureted 427 engine. The dashboard layout and steering column are non-standard for both a Cobra and a MkIV. The shock tower upright is stamped "AK02". Reported mileage was 9,700. A U.K. DVLA check of the registration number (GRT41T) says the car was built in 1978 and first registered in 1979, which doesn't match either the Shelby American or ACOC registries (1982 build date).

https://www.artandrevs.com/car.php?id=76

In Jun 2016, the Dorotheum auction house in Salzburg Austria sold a red "AK02" equipped with a Roush Ford 351 motor. This car matches the 2008 Shelby American club registry entry for AK02. The interior resembles the productionized version of the MkIV. The shock tower upright is stamped "AK02" and there's a correct-looking AC chassis plaque on the footbox. Reported mileage was 27,746.

https://fahrzeuge.dorotheum.com/en/l/1708273/

In Apr 2019, the Exoticars dealer in Gold Coast Australia advertised "AK02" on Hemmings and the Club Cobra forum. This car resembles the Luxembourg car, but has notable differences such as the Weber-equipped engine, riveted hood and hood scoop, side pipes, side marker lights, dashboard and steering wheel. There are no photos of the chassis number, but the Autokraft logo is visible on the firewall. Reported mileage was 10,590.

PhotoPost Classifieds - 1979 AC AUTOCRAFT 427 SC CH#AK 02 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 03-18-2023, 06:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

As registrar you are correct.
I listed both differently in 2023 Registry unfortunately there are more than one of these stories.
Most AK questions so far are 427 cars or specials as no 5.0 cars are in question.
Most likely as they (5.0) were DOT and Federally monitored with Ford.
Guessing as the big block (special) either were sold as rollers or as classified parts that’s where the confusion came in these years later.
Lot more hand waiving.

So far these are all no doubt AK cars just a bit confusing. Unlike actual cobras which have extreme seven-figure value these so far are moderately priced and seem to be just miss numbered.
I don’t think this is something that was meant to be intentional.

BTW the two blue cars listed above are the same car.
I’ll post a pic of Registry later.
SunDude and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-18-2023 at 07:10 AM..
Old 03-18-2023, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response, Jeff.

So would it be right to think the red AK02 is the actual 1982 factory prototype for the MkIV production car, and the blue AK02 was an earlier car (aka "special") built by Angliss's CP Autokraft in 1978?
Old 03-18-2023, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Here is listing in 2023 AK Registry.
A select few will get it from me, SAAC will I think carry on their site.
Currently in print as changes occurred on binding.
Available any time soon.
Enjoy
Attached Images

SunDude likes this.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Here is listing in 2023 AK Registry.
Straight from the source. None other than the registrar himself.

And as for the registry? What a good looking product. Obviously the work of true professionals!
Old 03-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As with all registries they are green and always getting updates.
The AK book will have annual editions as folks purchase them or want them after a MKIV purchase.

These duplicate cars or unknown cars will at least be updated and as complete as I can make them as time passes us by.