Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Advertisers Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/advertisers-forum/)
-   -   2 or 4 post lift? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/advertisers-forum/116844-2-4-post-lift.html)

rpatton3 08-17-2012 04:18 PM

2 or 4 post lift?

Redline stands had an ad on Craig's list for a two post lift.

I think a four post lift would be a whole lot sturdier.

Does anybody have any experience with the company?

Thanks,

Russell

FUNFER2 08-17-2012 04:46 PM

"I think a four post lift would be a whole lot sturdier"

It depends on the brand and what you'll be using it for. The four post is great for storing, unless you buy the kit that has the small bottle jacks, the trays etc..... to get the wheels off the lift to do brake work or any reason to un-load the suspension. To me, there just a hassle to use as a work tool.

If your intention is to work on every aspect of any car, from just maintenance to overhauling, I would recommend a two post. The rails on the four post are always in the way. There's a reason most automotive and body shops use the two post for working on a car and a four post for storing, especially if you have other cars to store in a small shop/garage.

I assume your garage is tall enough and concrete thick enough for either ?

I have the Max-Jax by Dannmar, and love it. I only have a single stall garage with the average height ceiling. I don't know how I ever did without it !

Jaydee 08-17-2012 05:00 PM

I have a molnar 2 post. It doesn't take up a lot of room, and much easier to work under. Just watch those arms with your head. If you have the height, the 2 poster with the overhead rail elliminates the plate accross the floor.
I've welded a plate to one of the arms to fit my engine support plate to. You can then raise and lower your engine, and can torque up bolts without chasing the engine stand around. Goodluck with finding one. I bought mine second hand with a leaking ram. I used a cylinder hone to clean out the ram with new seals for $70.
JD

rpatton3 08-17-2012 06:21 PM

Thanks guys.

Russell

Tommy 08-17-2012 08:11 PM

Russell,
I'm also interested in the replies to your post. I have neither, but I'm thinking a four post lift is best for me. I think a two-post would be best after the car is in the air, but I'd have to drive my car up on some sort of ramp system to get it high enough to swing the arms under it. Plus, I have lots of space so I like the idea of a lift that can be moved around if desired.

Jaydee 08-18-2012 12:26 AM

You can screw the pads down very low. Some 2 poisters have very thin arms and short threaded pads. If you can't get the arms under the car, then the chassis will definitely catch on the ramps of a 4 poster. We used to have a 4 poster with 2 H beams that ran down the lenght of the ramps, that you could lock into position, place some pads under the chassis, then lower the hoist to leave the car up in the air, but the wheels are free. Also makes a great workbench when doing brakes etc. Also you have to decide whether you want hydraulic or screw thread. 2or 3 phase.
JD

FUNFER2 08-18-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy (Post 1205564)
Russell,
I'm also interested in the replies to your post. I have neither, but I'm thinking a four post lift is best for me. I think a two-post would be best after the car is in the air, but I'd have to drive my car up on some sort of ramp system to get it high enough to swing the arms under it. Plus, I have lots of space so I like the idea of a lift that can be moved around if desired.

II have my cobra low enough that I use four small ramps to get the car high enough to clear the arms. No big deal.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...653_Small_.jpg
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...0MaxJax201.jpg
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s331/427HISS/3-2.jpg

rpatton3 08-18-2012 11:45 AM

The Craig's List ad said redlinestands.com and that was only way to contact them. The website shows 2 and 4 post lifts with lots of different capacities. If you contact them, be sure to ask for the discounted price from ad.

Wife does not want her 4,700 mile 2002 Thunderbird under my Backdraft roadster even though it does not leak anything yet.

I guess we have a very close fit in garage anyway, so it was a good pipe dream.

rpatton3 08-18-2012 11:48 AM

The Craig's List ad said redlinestands.com and that was only way to contact them. The website shows 2 and 4 post lifts with lots of different capacities. If you contact them, be sure to ask for the discounted price from ad.

Wife does not want her 4,700 mile 2002 Thunderbird under my Backdraft roadster even though it does not leak anything yet.

I guess we have a very close fit in garage anyway, so it was a good pipe dream.

FUNFER2 08-18-2012 11:55 AM

rpatton3- "I guess we have a very close fit in garage anyway, so it was a good pipe dream."

Are ya talkin about you & your wife, of the lift ? :eek: :p

FUNFER2 08-18-2012 12:01 PM

With the MaxJax 2-post, move the arms to the side and drive the car in or take the pins out and store the arms in a corner or,...the whole system can be moved to a corner. The posts have dolly wheels on them so you just tilt it back and move it. Great system.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s331/427HISS/4-2.jpg

rpatton3 08-18-2012 12:36 PM

I realized that we would not be able to raise the lift very much so the room underneath would be a close fit. That is, IF we could agree whose CAR would be on top and whose car got the lower bunk.

Next house is gonna get a four or five car garage and one bedroom!
No long term drop ins!

Russell

FUNFER2 08-18-2012 12:54 PM

"Next house is gonna get a four or five car garage and one bedroom"!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

EVERY MANS DREAM !!! :cool:

Texasdoc 11-15-2014 04:19 PM

I just ordered the MaxJax!! :3DSMILE:

However, I got an email from the seller (Costco) stating the following: A forklift is required for off loading. If you do not have the means to unload the equipment at delivery, we have several options that can assist you.

Do I need a forklift to get this off the truck, or will a normal hand truck/dolly be fine? It seems like it should be small & light enough to use a dolly.

Bernica 11-15-2014 04:48 PM

I will be watching this thread as I am also going through these decisions. About to build my "Dream Garage" (at least in my head) and have been asking everyone I know. About 50/50 so far on 2-post vs 4-post. Many say if you're going to leave it in the air, then a 4-post. If you're going to just service it, then 2-post. I am looking at the Bendpak stuff right now.

Tommy 11-15-2014 05:00 PM

Shipping weight is listed as 880 pounds. Moving it without a forklift might depend on whether it can be unpacked in the truck (patient driver?) and how much each component weighs.

Texasdoc 11-15-2014 05:54 PM

Does anyone know if it comes in one box or multiple boxes? I'm hoping a couple of buddies with an engine hoist can make it work. No idea how I'm gonna get a forklift to the house. If they are making this lift for home-garage use, it needs to be home compatible.

I don't know anyone with a forklift at home. I know I've bought lots of tools with the Cobra build, but that's a little excessive....

Bernica 11-15-2014 06:05 PM

Rent a pallet jack. As long as you have a clear path and smooth surface to pull it across.
You can also rent a forklift for 4 hours and be done with it.

AL427SBF 11-15-2014 09:21 PM

Here's another option for the small garage guy, EZcarlift.
EZ CAR LIFT Portable Car Lift Accessories

Not too many out there that have these attributes ...

- sunny day, work outside in your driveway
- need something for the track, take it with you
- limited space, stores neatly almost anywhere

Granted, not your walk under car lift but a pretty flexible solution where space, weight, storage and transportability are important, watch the videos.

Dirty Harry 11-16-2014 04:23 AM

The Kwiklift ended up being a good alternative for me. It fits my garage well and I can roll the car outside if I want. It is a ramp style lift, but it has a transverse bridge to allow me to jack the wheels up off the ramps if I need to.