Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Advertisers Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/advertisers-forum/)
-   -   Looking for a project or partially built Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/advertisers-forum/143895-looking-project-partially-built-cobra.html)

Ahshoe 07-28-2020 12:17 PM

Looking for a project or partially built Cobra

Looking at a project and or partially finished Cobra project that I can purchase for a father son project. I have lots of experience building cars but not a Cobra yet. We are up for a challenge. Any ideas will be appreciated. I have a small block drivetrain already, if I need to go that route. Also my son owns a body shop so that will help if necessary.

t walgamuth 07-28-2020 02:29 PM

Cool! I am envious. My son does not care about cars or working on them. This will be a memory for life for you and your son. I would recommend buying a high quality kit car that is either near finished or a driving car which needs love.

Ahshoe 07-29-2020 12:57 PM

Nope I do not want a kit. That is too easy. Looking for a project. I have done many and he is looking up to the challenge.

1985 CCX 07-29-2020 01:48 PM

I think Craig has a couple on hand.
Hi-Tech bases I think

mrmustang 07-29-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahshoe (Post 1480561)
Nope I do not want a kit.

So you are looking for an original Cobra restoration project?

Or are you looking for an abandoned scratch build with either a fiberglass or aluminum body?

What does your budget look like?

Bill S.

twobjshelbys 07-29-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1480578)
So you are looking for an original Cobra restoration project?

Or are you looking for an abandoned scratch build with either a fiberglass or aluminum body?

What does your budget look like?

Bill S.

I'm not sure he understands the terminology. And seriously, if he were looking for an original to restore he wouldn't be looking here. Those trade above this place's pay grade.

To the OP: You really are looking for an unfinished "kit". We'll expand the term to include some "scratch build" projects but all of them area to a more or lesser degree a collection of parts on the floor of the garage or in boxes somewhere.

The degree to which some of the "some assembly required" work has been done seems to be what you're looking to vary.

You can get true kits - a pile of parts that you assemble the frame, body, engine and everything else. Or you can get a finished roller that has frame, body, electrical, etc. that has everything done except the engine/transmissions.

So where in the spectrum are you looking?

A hint about leftover "kits". Most of the ones discussed here are so old that the parts have mostly in the hands of the second or third (or more) owner, are incomplete in both parts and paperwork, and represent a money pit worse than a boat.

Good luck.

Ahshoe 07-30-2020 06:31 AM

Not looking for the real thing. Not looking for a NEW catalog kit to assemble either. Maybe a forgotten project,Something started and not finished. Something needing MAYBE wiring, motor, trans, suspension upgrades,rear end and or more. I do have the talent and resources. I have rebuilt and restored many makes of Fords over my 50 years of playing with cars. So I do understand them. My son does not . I want to work with him so he can enjoy this when WE are done. Not sure what it would be called but with the other projects I picked up over he 50 or so years I call it a project. Just looking. Thanks Budget is around 30K if is has to be,or less, depending what I find.Thanks for the replies so far.

t walgamuth 07-30-2020 06:36 AM

For 30K You should be able to have a wide choice of Cobras.

mr bruce 07-30-2020 07:01 AM

I might let this one go unfinished ,WAY less than $30K-http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=7504&cat=2

Ahshoe 07-30-2020 07:14 AM

Thanks Mr Bruce. You are in my ball park, I will let you know if we need more pics and info on it. Like the way less than 30k to get into it..... because I do not want to pay 30k for the project but that is our finished budget.

olddog 07-30-2020 10:00 PM

FYI - unfinished kits are usually that way because they could not be finished. People usually have a plan to buy it and finish it. You are counting on yourself being smarter than they were, and assuming the manufacturer sold them a well designed kit. One or both of these assumptions could be far from the truth. Most likely at least one is not correct.

It is highly unlikely that some moron, with an over inflated ego, bought a well designed kit, and you are going buy and finish it with relative ease, and enjoy every minute of it. Think long and hard. Learn all you can about these cars and the many manufacturers. You could be heading into your worst nightmare.

twobjshelbys 07-31-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1480656)
FYI - unfinished kits are usually that way because they could not be finished. People usually have a plan to buy it and finish it. You are counting on yourself being smarter than they were, and assuming the manufacturer sold them a well designed kit. One or both of these assumptions could be far from the truth. Most likely at least one is not correct.

It is highly unlikely that some moron, with an over inflated ego, bought a well designed kit, and you are going buy and finish it with relative ease, and enjoy every minute of it. Think long and hard. Learn all you can about these cars and the many manufacturers. You could be heading into your worst nightmare.

Add to that the fact that almost all of the unfinished kits you find here and there are from companies no longer in business. People don't know what they're getting and then come here only to find that the place is long out of business and parts aren't available. If you stick with kits from the majors (like Factory Five) you might be OK but those kits evolve too and missing parts might be hard to get.

t walgamuth 08-01-2020 04:51 AM

Good points all, but I am sure there are also quite a few kits where the buyer just ran out of energy to work on them due to the aging process. The trick as pointed out above is to get one from a good manufacturer.

olddog 08-01-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1480706)
Good points all, but I am sure there are also quite a few kits where the buyer just ran out of energy to work on them due to the aging process. The trick as pointed out above is to get one from a good manufacturer.

Agreed. They do exist, but they are rare.

Of the ones that exist, I would expect you will be more likely to find that the purchaser died before finishing it. Unless a family member was involved and interested, it is difficult to get the paperwork on what exactly it is, and the papers necessary to title it. Without the MSO and documentation your DMV will accept as proving the parts are not stolen, you are in trouble.

Of the ones that the purchaser is alive and health or other events have prevented them from finishing the car, they should have all the information and paperwork in order. These I expect are very rare, but the better kit to purchase. However these are also the people most likely to want to recoup 80% or more of their investment. To me saving 20% doesn't cover the risk and the fact that the manufacturer may not think of you as their customer.

IMO if it has changed hands, and you will be the third or fourth owner, be very careful. If it is not a good manufacturer that is still in business, walk away, unless you personally know enough to write a book on the manufacturer, and all the paperwork is with it.

It is very hard to pick anything up at 50 cents on the dollar, if it is worth owning at all. These are situations that come by once or twice in a lifetime, if at all. So starting out on this quest is like chasing rain bows, in my opinion.

People who think they can own one of these cars for less than $15K are the ones who build a death trap and put the hobby at risk. I think it is best to explain the facts up front and correct misguided expectations right away.

The OP in this case is expecting to spend $30K finished which is doable but on the lower end. My comments is more in general as there have been quite a few new folks asking similar questions lately. Over the years, there have been tons of these type questions, and I do not recall anyone succeeding.

olddog 08-01-2020 10:31 AM

Suggestion to OP.

Give FFR a call and ask them if anyone put money down on a kit and then backed out and didn't purchase the kit. This happens once in a while and sometimes they are willing to sell that kit at considerable savings to you. You do not get to pick and choose what it is, but they will sell you any upgrades you want after the sale. If you start wanting to change options on a kit they already have completed you are going to start costing them and you more money, so it is best to take it as is.

This may work with any manufacturer and it wouldn't hurt to ask, but FFR sells the most kits (I think that is still true) and the most likely to run into this situation.

This may only happen once a year or two, but in these odd times, it might be more likely.

mrmustang 08-01-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1480724)
Suggestion to OP.

Give FFR a call and ask them if anyone put money down on a kit and then backed out and didn't purchase the kit. This happens once in a while and sometimes they are willing to sell that kit at considerable savings to you. You do not get to pick and choose what it is, but they will sell you any upgrades you want after the sale. If you start wanting to change options on a kit they already have completed you are going to start costing them and you more money, so it is best to take it as is.

This may work with any manufacturer and it wouldn't hurt to ask, but FFR sells the most kits (I think that is still true) and the most likely to run into this situation.

This may only happen once a year or two, but in these odd times, it might be more likely.

On top of the advice above, there are two FFR specific forums that you could put a wanted ad in their classifieds looking to purchase an unfinished kit. I'd think that would be your next best step.

Bill S

austincobrafrea 08-01-2020 03:30 PM

I might have the perfect cobra for you. FFR #3340 Titanium silver and black stripes. It was spun at the track and has I believe minor fiberglass issues. Also it needs some electrical sleuthing. There was a short in the wiring harness by the headlights and I thought I fixed it all. the low beams don't work and maybe blinkers. 1990 302 EFI with supposedly only 60,000 miles on it,1993 Cobra intake, electric water pump. Gloss powder coated frame and many of the brackets. New tires. It hasn't been inspected in years. I have only put maybe 5000 miles on it. I just don't use it enough. Brand new fuel tank and fuel pump. Starts like a champ.
well within your budget.

twobjshelbys 08-01-2020 08:10 PM

I don't think we're going to hear from OP again...

Ahshoe 08-02-2020 03:00 PM

Still looking

I am still here, just taking in the information and still looking. Thanks

twobjshelbys 08-02-2020 03:25 PM

Yours is not the first time this subject has been discussed. Please use Search or look at the topic index. There's lots of information here to help you make an informed decision.