Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     
Default How many unfinished cobras are out there and why

I often wonder how many unfinished cobras are out there and what are the reasons that people stop working on something that was once a life long dream. I have been doing Cobra builds for years and found that there are a bunch of guys that just need a little help and there back up and running. It has been real rewarding to be able to help a few guys and get them back at it. What are the reasons your build stopped and what would help you get going again.

Check out the new shop at www.eddytheb.com
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, York 351W (Work in Progress), 07 Shelby GT # 0767, 09 Shelby GT500, 09 Shelby GT500KR #440
Not Ranked     

The process of building my cobra has been quite a learning experience. I used to work on some of my cars when I was in high school but it was usually minor things and any of the major stuff when to the garage.

My cobra build is pretty much finished. All of the running gear is in place, the electical is working, and most of the moving body parts are pretty well aligned. However, since I don't have the experience in getting an engine running, the car has been at a local guy's home garage for the past year waiting for him to have time enough to get the engine fired up. He is so busy though, he has not had any time to work on it. I had been waiting for him to work on it as he is a person friend and is one of the best around. However, he has agreed that he probably won't get to it still for quite a while so the cobra will be brought back home where I can at least refine things until I can find someone else who can help get it running.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I built my car in my 1.5 car garage over a 6 year period But what took me so long was wife had major auto accident then went through cancer treatment and we moved half way across the country and some times money had a lot to do with it.I never gave up on it because i knew how much fun it would be when it was finished.........
I would never have left my car at someone elses shop/house for any length of time no matter how good they are and the "I'm to busy" excuse dosen't fly with me if you have time to eat or poop you have time to get my car fired up or dont offer to do it if your not going to............
Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Take it from a recent shopper. The top non completeted kit Cobra being sold is Street Beast. I did not buy a SB, hearing so many negatives.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

My original plan was to buy an ERA kit and build it myself. If I had started down that road, one of two things would have happened. It would have been sold as an incomplete car, or I would have had to pay someone to finish it for me. My work schedule just does not allow me the luxury of the amount of time necessary to build a car.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

I've been working on my Hurricane for about 2 years now and its about 1/2 way done if you don't count body prepping. I've done it all by myself with my two young daughters helping. We've had fun and work when we can so it will eventually get done. School and work just doesn't allow us large blocks of time. But rest assured, when it is done, it will not be pink....meanwhile we continue to drive and fool around with our old beater. ken
Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Money pit!!! These cars cost a lot & can require a lot of effort. If you love the challenge of a big project your more likely to finish it! It would be interesting to know who has invested the most & will never finish
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I may have found a project. A friend of mine that had moved away came to our little pub on Saturday said his boss is building a 289 kit. This could be interesting...
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mine is 99.5% done. It just needs a few items finished up but with my arthritic fingers it just hurts too much to work on it and being overweight does not help. Or just a lack of motivation I guess.

On another note, there is a B&B in Tracy Ca. if anyone is interested. No its not mine.
http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/1424248797.html

Terry
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII #3133 3:27 Pin Width IRS, Carb'd Explorer 302 w/GT40P Heads, 3550 Mid Shift, Power Brake Mod, 15" Torque Thrust D's
Not Ranked     

Probably will never know how many are out there.

I got my kit from a guy that had dreamed of having one, got it home and it sat in his garage for 4 years, never started it. He said he just lost interest.

Great deal for me!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Every part of me that is sad I didn't build mine gets happy when I go sit in my beautiful, factory-built, fully sorted beast. I didn't even go broke on it.

Doesn't mean I don't stare out the window sometimes, dreaming about an ERA truck pulling up to unload all those exciting boxes and bales and body-on-a-pallet...

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I got a call a couple of years ago from a woman in Denver her brother had died and in his garage was an unfinished Cobra kit that he had purchased and never started and she wanted to know what it was worth and what she should do with it.
to make a long story short.........
she donated it to a local highschool in Denver.......
that was cool........
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had mine nearing completion, then started changing it to better suit what I really wanted in the first place. I work on it every Sunday but that seems to be the only time I have to devote to it.
Plus I'm just plain slow!
Larry
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Mine is 99.5% done. It just needs a few items finished up but with my arthritic fingers it just hurts too much to work on it and being overweight does not help. Or just a lack of motivation I guess.

On another note, there is a B&B in Tracy Ca. if anyone is interested. No its not mine.
http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/1424248797.html

Terry
99.5% complete? I never thought that any Cobra would get that close to being complete. I know I consider mine 95% complete, but that last 5% will never be done, as there is always something else I want to do to it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

I've been working on mine for 6 1/2 years, off and on between bouts with cash flow problems, cancer setbacks, and other minor problems. I take exception to the Street Beasts comment as I own one and know of others that are finished. I agree that they are not the best company to deal with and you really have to stay on top of them. Unfortunately, they had been improving but now they seem to be on the decline once again. I have been trying for 3 or 4 weeks now to get an engine start with no luck, which is not related to anything SB has done. I hope to finish mine soon, but, my standard answer now when asked when it will be done is, Turkey Rod Run, however I don't say "WHICH" TRR.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello All,

Interesting question and not an easy answer.....

I have been building, buying, selling and driving Cobras since 1989. I have had four roadsters, One Daytona and a GT40. I built the first two from scratch and hired out the things that were needed from craftsmen that had the skills i.e. painting, machine/engine work and some specialized metal work. Bought two turn key an SPF, a Shelby and recently started on a new project.

I helped to start the BACC ten years ago and have seen group grow from 8 guys to over two hundred + today.

When you start the build it is a journey and I have seen other peoples journey last from 6 months to over twenty years. The process gets complicated by life, wives, children, shifting goals and manufacturers coming up with new products.

When I started my first car the concept of a "Roller" either unpainted or complete roller (Plumbed, Wired,Painted, upholstered, Soft top, heater etc. etc.) did not exist and when it was available you as a home builder could almost not do better on the fit/finish than what was available on the complete roller. Additionally an Aluminum car similar to what the Kirkhams offer was not anywhere on the Radar screens.

As time has moved on there are some of the builds sitting in peoples garages that have been passed by either from the industry, over estimating skills, cost, life changes etc. etc. you can fill in the blanks.

The key ingredient is that things change...........

Tony R.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

I have been at my build almost 2 years and the big stopping blocks for me are money and parts, (the money to buy needed parts). The big thing I am doing is working on it at least a couple hours per day off, other than that I have no excuse not to finish in less than 2 more years. For those who don't know I am scratch building mine. Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Mine is mocked up, runs, everything works. I am ready to tear it down and send the body to the painter but, once again, I'm out of the country for a few months. If everything goes well and I can hang around the US for a while I'll have it on the road next year. I got it in late 2003.
Bill Stradtner
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Mine has taken over 3.75 years and I am now just finishing up (final details but she is registered and road ready). My issues were that in these three years I have moved twice, held 4 different jobs, sold/bought 3 houses, remodeled 3 houses, got married, had two kids, built two motorbikes...did I mention the two kids? Funny thing is that paint took forever!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63mercury View Post
For those who don't know I am scratch building mine. Carl
Carl, you bring a whole new meaning to the term "scratch-built":

Finally starting