Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     
Default Crazy Cobra Adventure?

I'm a rookie, but a risk taker. If things go right, I'm buying a slightly used SPF in Florida on March 10. Since we live 3,000 miles away from Florida, once purchased, the little woman and I are going to drive the new Cobra on our week-long vacation in a Florida beach resort instead of renting a car. At the end of the week we will have the car shipped back home. I'm thinking it could be the most awesome week in my new Cobra, or a nightmare down south! Yes, it will rain. The SPF has a convertible top and I'll have two car covers; one to dry in the room, while the other is in use. I would cover it up every time I park it. Is this crazy or just the beginning of a life long Cobra adventure? I just hate the thought of going on vacation in the spring sunshine state and not being able to enjoy my new wheels. Your comments or ridicule will be appreciated!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF with 514 and tko
Not Ranked     
Default Just drive the car

Take the week to drive the SPF home. There's nothing like a cross country road trip. I found my slightly used SPF in Boise ID and the wife and I drove back to NC. The trip of a lifetime, just stock up on ear plugs and sunscreen. PS some Goretex is great to have along also.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Fun in the Sun

Ward -
Sounds like a GREAT idea to me. I'm about to embark on a similar venture, myself. The wife and I are Wintering at a Cobra buddie's condo near Daytona Beach. I hauled my '65 Mustang convertible down here in an enclosed trailer - having a blast driving around with the top down.

We are planning to drive down to the Keys during Bike Week, and were going to take the SUV. However, after thinking about it, I decided the trip would be a much greater adventure in the Mustang convertible. Don't really relish the idea of leaving it out overnight in hotel parking lots, but, maybe the cover will help disguise it a little.

I would go with your plan the way you suggested - drive it around Florida and enjoy the sunshine, then ship it back home. A cross-country drive with the little woman in the Cobra might be a little bit of a tough sell.

enjoy!

Jeff
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

First off make your trip something to tell your grandkids about.We all only have one shot at this life,so make the most of it.Sounds like you have some good times ahead.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I can't think of a better way to start your relationship with your new car.

Brandon
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great idea...I'm planning a trip this summer on a self guided "Lap of America" and all I'm taking is the two car covers like you are. One for the dry times and one waterproof from California car cover for the wet times! Also, you have your tonneau cover to help out as well.

I say fly down, drive around that week, then drive it home! Ebay sells a front end bra for the superformance that also covers up the snorkel for those pesky bugs. Search for superformance bra and click on superformance LLC for all the goodies. $199.00 shipped!

Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Yahoo! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium200 View Post
Take the week to drive the SPF home. There's nothing like a cross country road trip. I found my slightly used SPF in Boise ID and the wife and I drove back to NC. The trip of a lifetime, just stock up on ear plugs and sunscreen. PS some Goretex is great to have along also.
Absolutely, since you bought a car with a top (for the wife at night ),take it out, drive it home. Enjoy the ride.......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Sounds like an excellent trip! When I picked my car up in Atlanta, the first place I drove it was 900 miles on the country byways up to DC with my father. We had a ball.

Get some binder clips from an office supply store so you can roll up the sides of the cover and hold it in place to keep it off the side pipes while they cool down.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Ward,
This is the worst winter anyone here in Florida can remember, damn all this global warming. Winter is our normal dry season but with one cold front after another this winter it will rain but a heater might be a better option than a top, enjoy.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     

Drive it back home!!!! That is what I did when we finished my Cobra at my brother's place in Oregon. Test drive was Oregon to Atlanta - 3000+ miles. I would do it all again in a nanosecond. Here is the thread for the trip...

"New" Cobra in Atlanta

And a video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5133091&hl=en#
Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

if you drive it home and pass through Colorado I will join you for a couple hundred of those miles. I bet you could meet a bunch of the guys/gals from the forum on your trip.

Brandon
Old 02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

If you were going down on May 10 I'd say drive it home, but March 10? Ship it.
Bill Stradtner
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I agree with the drive home. It will be a true adventure. I did the Florida thing with my motorcycle. Boorrrriinnggg. Sure there's things to see and do. But a Cobra adventure is a driving adventure, with the great plains, mountains, deserts, winding roads, small towns. It will be a MUCH better vacation and adventure.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

If you do drive it home, make sure you go through the Tail of the Dragon. 11 miles, 318 curves......Near the GA/TN border.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

If you're coming from Florida I would certainly take I-10 to San Diego then then you have other warm choices. Going through the Rockies\Sierra Nevada\Cascades this time of year in a Cobra would require more than a heater I think.

Have fun.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jcf slabside,302 ford
Not Ranked     

Drive the cobra, it will be a great memory. Sue and I Drove Rt 66 to LA them drove 1 all the way to Oregon them the high route back to Michigan in 2007. It took the month of July and cost about $4000. We had a blast two 50 year olds driving 5000 miles and acting like we were 20. Wonderful memories and we meet some great people along the way we would never had met in her Sable.