Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   where to buy GoodYear Eagle GT IIs? 295s (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/103521-where-buy-goodyear-eagle-gt-iis-295s.html)

rob frink 03-23-2010 09:49 AM

where to buy GoodYear Eagle GT IIs? 295s

noblec5 03-23-2010 12:54 PM

Same here. Anybody with any ideas?

Chris

RedBarchetta 03-23-2010 01:09 PM

Hey Rob/Chris,

My senses tell me that even if you found a pair on FleaBay or Craigslist, they may already be past their date codes. I agree that the GY GTII is a nice looking tire on our cars. But beyond that, their performance under spirited conditions is dismal, at best. Rob, you've tracked your car...you should know, right?

I'm running the super sticky, don't-drive-too-close-behind-me-or-I'll-fling-some-pebbles-on-your-fender GY Billboards. So my recommendations for real street tires starts at the expensive Avons or lesser expensive MT drag radials and then goes quite south from there.

Good luck,

-Dean

Excaliber 03-23-2010 02:12 PM

I had a real problem finding a set in Hawaii, actually ANY 15" 295X50X15 tire. I finally found some for the FRONT, smaller and when they were mounting them one of the tire guys remembered they had some old matching ones for the rear, 295's. The lettering was a bit yellowed, didn't clean up as nice as the newer fronts did, but I didn't complain, just glad to find ANY tires that size.

So I now I got the GT-II's replacing the Goodyear Bill Boards. Hey, these GT-II's are more fun than a barrel of monkeys! And just as likely to get you in trouble. They break loose super easy, go up in smoke in a heart beat and squeal like a little girl when you break 'em loose. It's super easy to "hang the ass end out" in a corner with just mild throttle over steer. Drifting? These tires are the ticket, get-r-sideways!

I've already ordered some Goodyear hand grooved slicks to replace the worthless but FUN GT-11's. Use them at your own risk... :) I've heard there better than the T/A's though, man if that's true those T/A's must be a riot on the street! Just like driving on wet pavement, now how fun is that? :)

rob frink 03-23-2010 02:15 PM

Silverback51 03-23-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob frink (Post 1038234)
Thanks Dean!

What are those Bill Boards like to drive on? Are they Bias-plys...?

Do they "hunt" and wonder with every groove or dip in the asphalt?

I want a no-brainer,...long road trip, cruising street tire. Something that cruises effortlessly at 80 mph with just a thumb on the steering wheel.

Yep...I looove the looks of the BB ..and would not hesitate to get them if they behaved like a daily driving street tire.

-Rob

BB's are not for you.

You want to have a good grip on the wheel incase they do decide to move around on you.

RedBarchetta 03-23-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverback51 (Post 1038240)
BB's are not for you.

I second that.

DMXF 03-23-2010 03:21 PM

GTII's

I have a set of new GTII's stashed away that I had shaved a bit. I've been considering selling them, but somewhat on the fence about it. If I ever decided to use them, the opportunity cost of time and irritation of the effort involved in finding more would not be insignificant.

Bill D 03-23-2010 03:24 PM

How about Cooper Cobra tires? Any good?

Excaliber 03-23-2010 06:52 PM

Heck the Bill Boards aren't that bad, I'd do a long trip in them without a second thought.

I think the chatter, which we here a lot of, about them "hunting" is over stated from my own experience. I'm going Goodyear slicks, hand grooved, for the track, and getting a set of Bill Boards for my daily driver tires mounted on my second set of wheels. What to do with the GT-II's? I'll be sending up smoke signals with them when the Biil Boards get here. :)

Kirkhams say the Avons are the best going, I checked them out. EXPENSIVE!!! And they don't look that good, I'll pass.

Some GT-II reviews:
http://www1.epinions.com/reviews/Goo...rformance_Tire

Like one reviewer said: "Wow. It's unreal how bad these tires are." Yup, I gotta agree with that.

dcdoug 03-23-2010 07:19 PM

The first thing I did when I picked up my car was drive it 900 miles home on billboards. Not a big deal, but you do need to pay attention on the road and better to keep both hands on the wheel in case they do go looking for something....

But they are fine as long as they are properly inflated.

rob frink 03-24-2010 06:04 AM

Excaliber 03-24-2010 07:33 AM

Were those Hoosiers drag racing slicks or radial ties? Either one will move quite a bit when cornering. Road racing tires, the bill boards and in particular Goodyears, have a stiff sidewall, no flex in the corners. The Goodyear road racing slicks have an EXTREME stiff sidewall.

mdross1 03-25-2010 03:02 AM

It is a tough call running a tire that does it all.My BFG's do an Okay job, not race tires by any means,at least in the twisties.Once tried a set of drag radials, hated the picking up every bit of sand,but sure liked the grip.It boils down to what looks good,and does the best job possible on the street.Racing, calls for another set of stickies.

mpanten 03-25-2010 06:44 AM

You can get them at summit

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...gle%20gt&dds=1

Didnt check jegs but I bet they would also have them.

rob frink 03-25-2010 06:52 AM

mpanten 03-25-2010 07:06 AM

I didnt see 295's on there, in fact im not sure they make a 295 in the 15's. I would give them a call just to see. I would also check tire rack and a couple other local dealers. I was told the same thing when I bought mine about not being able to order them by a couple of people. I did find someone locally who would order them without a problem. Im running 275's on mine, they are a pretty good tire for the money and one of the few that are available in white letters if that is what you are looking for. Do you have any "tire man" dealers there? thats who ordered mine.

rob frink 03-25-2010 07:13 AM

mpanten 03-25-2010 07:18 AM

Well that stinks, im not sure I will replace mine, they are a good looking tire but they are only s rated for speed, of course I am sure you would never exceed 112 mph :LOL:

vanoochka 03-26-2010 04:23 AM

I ran Eagle II's on my SPF. Waiting for them to let go in the corners - and they do without warning - does not make for fun drives. I know from experience they are dangerous on a Cobra and would never recommend them.