28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I bet I'm not the first new owner to do this

I have had a fiberglass Superformance for about a month, pulled a little far forward to a curb yesterday, scraped the bottom front. Can I fix this myself? Is it as easy as sand, polish, paint (I have paint codes), and clear coat? Or is this something I need to have a professional handle? (It's not really noticeable when the car is on the ground, maybe I should just forget about it, but I know it's there, and I want to fix it, if fixing it is not a big deal.)
Old 04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

If you're not a professional painter yourself, best to let a pro take care of it---I think.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

You might paint it flat black so it will be easy to touch it up when you scrap it the next time
Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas56 View Post
I have had a fiberglass Superformance for about a month, pulled a little far forward to a curb yesterday, scraped the bottom front. Can I fix this myself? Is it as easy as sand, polish, paint (I have paint codes), and clear coat? Or is this something I need to have a professional handle? (It's not really noticeable when the car is on the ground, maybe I should just forget about it, but I know it's there, and I want to fix it, if fixing it is not a big deal.)
Forget about it. It means nothing. It will happen again. Ignore it. No one can see it unless it's up on a lift. It's like shining the bottom of your oil pan with 409. And it happens to everyone. And everyone ignores it.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Use your touch up paint and fugedaboutit!

One of many scrapes.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
fugedaboutit!

One of many scrapes.
................+1
Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's like shining the bottom of your oil pan with 409.
Hey! I resemble that remark.

Get it fixed now. If you're like me, you fix it now, because it will drive you nuts for the rest of your life.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

If you intend using the car all the time let it go. If your'e going to drive it once every couple of month get it fixed professionally. I agree with RodKnock, I couldn't sleep if it wasn't repaired. The other guys are probably right in that it may happen again but I'd be more careful and try to avoid it, till next time.
As far as Patrickt's quote liking it to polishing your oil pan with 409, Iv'e got a Cobra sump painted gloss black to match my motor with the fins and the Cobra logo polished up. If someone can let me know what 409 is it might make my job easier.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
As far as Patrickt's quote liking it to polishing your oil pan with 409, Iv'e got a Cobra sump painted gloss black to match my motor with the fins and the Cobra logo polished up. If someone can let me know what 409 is it might make my job easier.
I scrape the bottom of my car, just under the oil cooler, on the same spot on the same drive area, once or twice each year. You can only see the scrapes if you're under the car. BTW, 409 is the greatest Cobra cleaner ever made. I found that it takes burned skin off sidepipes better than anything else (seriously).

Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

I got into the habit of always backing in to parking spots for this reason. Bummer, but you'll get over it. It's just like the first stone chip.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

After you get it fixed, you want to try to always back your car in everytime you can. Besides avoiding scraping your car, it looks way cooler to back your car in as opposed to pulling it straight in.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Best thing that ever happened to me was the day I quit worrying about the scratches on the car, now I just call it "patina" and move on. Oh sure, I know there are SEVERAL marks and scratches that got their from just flat out being dumb, dang it, piss me off. OK, got that out, I'm all better, moving on...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Why does one desire to pull into a space so far forward to scrape a curb?

YOUR DRIVING A 90" WHEEL BASE CAR, HELLO!

I almost did the same in my short time as an owner. Came within about 1/4", feel your pain.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It all depends on where you're located, from 1 to 10, on the OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) spectrum.

Maybe you should install some of those curb feelers on the front and rear of your Cobra.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Yeah about a nine here. Maybe a back up camera up front would work.

It may pass as patina! Oh, I was beat to the patina angle...........

Last edited by Ralphy; 04-17-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

O.K., let's back up a bit. 409? 409? I'm sure you were kidding. On an oil pan?
The correct procedure for oil pan maintenance (as everyone knows) is:

1) Wash oil pan with a high quality car wash (NOT dish detergent!)
2) Throughly dry oil pan.
3) Use a high quality clay bar on the oil pan.
4) Polish the oil pan with a high quality polish.
5) Wax the oil pan with a high quality wax (get ready for differing opinions on which wax is best!).
6) Touch up after every drive with a "Quick Detailer".
7) Stand back and brace yourself for well deserved "OHHH's and AAAHHHH's" from the crowd!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

only the frogs can see it as you drive over them .......it most likely won't be the last time ya do it either ......so, who cares ?

just remember as you see speed bumps and steep inclines to driveways and such to take them on at an angle and not directly over them at 90 degrees to the impediment ..... been there / done that years ago and still not repaired ....Bill
Old 04-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heck, I did that once with mine except the parking slab was a little higher and it broke the strip below the oil cooler and really showed. I took it to a Fiberglass and body shop and in 3 days I couldn't even tell where I had scraped and broken it. They even matched the red stripes perfectly. If I had just scraped some paint under it I would have used the touch up paint and let it go. Now rick picks on the frame are another matter. A rattle can of black always fixed them well.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I can see by the responses and length of the thread that it's happened to all of us. I pulled into my friends driveway the other day ( you know , dieing for a ride in the car) very carefully as it is unfinished with stones sticking up in some spots... and don't I scrape my collector ever so lightly, putting a small ding in the bottom. This thread gave me some therapy and helped to to get over it. Next Time! he can come to my house for a freakin ride. He nervously chuckled, and asked me if I will lose 2 horsepower!!!
Lou
Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think what probably makes sense for me is to put this off for a bit. Since you can't see the scrape, after I work my way through the compulsive, new car, everything has to be perfect phase, there is a good chance this will fall off my list. Three or four months from now, if I still want to get it fixed, it sounds like I should spend a few bucks and have a professional do it. Thank you all for the good thoughts. The replies are always helpful and usually entertaining.