Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     
Default resale after painting Kirkham

I'm thinking about painting my Kirkham. Any thoughts on if It would be harder to sell if not bare aluminum anymore. Anyone ever notice if one sells faster than the other. I don't see that many painted ones anymore.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

My vote is 100% paint.......
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Make the car what you want, not what some buyer in the future will want.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I've always admired the Kirkham owners who paint their cars. I think it makes them even more special.

Regards.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP241 427 S/C 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Over the years I have done at least 10 small rock hit repairs which took under an hour each to fix. If I had paint involved, the the repairs would cost thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$. I'll keep the aluminum.....Ron
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans24 View Post
I'm thinking about painting my Kirkham. Any thoughts on if It would be harder to sell if not bare aluminum anymore. Anyone ever notice if one sells faster than the other. I don't see that many painted ones anymore.
It's a personal decision, of course. I don't think you could go wrong with paint if you were to stay with the ever-popular blues and reds. Most Cobra buyers/owners desire a painted Cobra since: a) bare aluminum is an acquired taste and b) perceive it to be easier to maintain. I think it's about the same in terms of maintenance. You can touch up paint and you can repolish aluminum. Both paint and bare aluminum will require maintenance.

You have to weigh your own personal likes against the resale question. How long do you intend to keep the car? If you think you want to keep it for the foreseeable future and you like painted Cobras, then I say paint it. However, if you like to feel somewhat unique at shows and driving around town, then keep it bare aluminum.

I've toyed with the idea of painting just the stripes black, keeping the rest of the car polished similar to this CSX and of course buying a set of magnesium Halibrands for this look:

Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How are you going to tell if it is aluminum? Maybe you will let people tap on the painted area.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

I really liked that clear laquer painted, brushed finish car that was posted a while back. (so much so I've considered doing that myself)

I've only seen a couple painted cars come up for sale in the past, didn't seem to effect the selling price much either way.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

lemans24

I can't imagine there being much of a difference on resale.

Do whatever you're going to do for yourself.

I specifically wanted mine naked and brushed like Tom's personal car. I imagined at the time that it would probably be worth less, though I paid a hefty amount back in 2003 to have da boys brush it. Only No. 142 predates mine as a naked customer car...at least as far as I know.

Little did I know at the time how many folks wanted to frolic naked. I did it for myself.

Sorta makes me giggle a bit that someone would be concerned about painting one of these damn things. Whichever way you go, it will be be correct.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys. Either way it is a beautiful piece of hardware.