Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default If a police officer stops you. Question about VIN #

I have a FFR MKI. If an officer stops me what do I need so that he can verify my vin number and see that the cobra is mine and is not stolen?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymathboy View Post
I have a FFR MKI. If an officer stops me what do I need so that he can verify my vin number and see that the cobra is mine and is not stolen?
Kind of a strange question. You know they're not supposed to stop you for no reason, and with today's technology, by the time they've gotten out of their cruiser they've already pulled up your DMV and driver's license info (including the picture of you) on their car's laptop. I've never had one ask to see the VIN on my car. If the license plate jives with the description of the car, and the license plate jives with your driver's license, and you have your registration, then I don't think you're going to have any real problem. I've never heard of a Cobra owner even getting bugged by the police because of a VIN issue.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
Every thing you state is so true. But I can't imagine a Cop stopping some one for a VIN#. How ever a registration is right up there at the top of "the" question.

nymathboy, your reg's. number or Vin number assigned to your car is right on your registration.

I don't think your question was about being stopped For a Vin? Or was it?

DV
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Kind of a strange question. You know they're not supposed to stop you for no reason, and with today's technology, by the time they've gotten out of their cruiser they've already pulled up your DMV and driver's license info (including the picture of you) on their car's laptop. I've never had one ask to see the VIN on my car. If the license plate jives with the description of the car, and the license plate jives with your driver's license, and you have your registration, then I don't think you're going to have any real problem. I've never heard of a Cobra owner even getting bugged by the police because of a VIN issue.
Not true at all. On a typical stop you put it out over tha radio (not safe to be typing on your computer when you should be watching the actions of the driver you are stopping) and the dispatcher will come back and tell you if the plate is clean (no wants), the date the tags expire, and the type of vehicle. Without having someone drivers license it is a time consuming process to find a license for someone matching the registration on the vehicle and confirming that it is the right person (not someone else with the same name). The reason an officer takes your license back with him to his car is to check your status (both DL privelages and wants)

Alot of times I would ask the dispatcher for the last four numbers of the vin if something did not feel right to me, and I would visually check it when I was up talking to the driver. There are some smart criminals out there that will steal plates off another car of the same make/model and put them on their stolen car.

The one time I was stopped in my SPF, I showed the officer both the number from SPF, and the attached vin plate from California. No problem at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, ok, but the last time I was pulled over in my Cobra the state trooper called me by name when he asked for my license and registration.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can see myself being pulled over for something else and the officer giving me crap/ticket because there is no VIN tag or VIN # on the car.

Most cops are cool. They work hard and they deal with the worst people in the world. However there are some cops who are cross your T and dot your i type people.

I just want to do the right thing.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

alwas carry a dozen donuts in your Cobra in case you get stopped
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

always carry a dozen donuts in case you get pulled over
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaffold View Post
alwas carry a dozen donuts in your Cobra in case you get stopped
Feed the Bears.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Where did your vin. come from, is it a ffr car number that its registered from, was it issued from the state or is it a made up number? You can get a repro shelby plate you can stamp the vin. into then attach it to the drivers footbox under the hood. Make it easy to see for the police.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just be really polite and friendly to them and you'll be fine. Unless you're doing something outrageously wrong, they're probably pulling you over because they're car guys and just want to see it up close. The last state trooper that pulled me over mostly walked around the car muttering to himself "this is a really nice car." I have yet to actually receive a ticket in my Cobra but, let me tell ya, it attracts cops like dogs to a butcher shop.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, ok, but the last time I was pulled over in my Cobra the state trooper called me by name when he asked for my license and registration.
Probably assumed the registered owner was driving the car. The dispatcher would give us the name on the registration if we asked for it, or you could get it on your computer. Like I stated above though, it is not a very safe habit to be typing stuff in your computer while pulling a car over (or driving for that matter). I wish we could have a picture show up on our computers of the driver, you would be amazed at how many people that have no DL/ID will lie about their names.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
Probably assumed the registered owner was driving the car. The dispatcher would give us the name on the registration if we asked for it, or you could get it on your computer. Like I stated above though, it is not a very safe habit to be typing stuff in your computer while pulling a car over (or driving for that matter). I wish we could have a picture show up on our computers of the driver, you would be amazed at how many people that have no DL/ID will lie about their names.
Well, in his defense, he sat behind me at a stoplight for about two minutes and I could see him typing in on his laptop before the light turned green and he threw on his lights. Very pleasant fellow, and no "spring chicken" by any means. He looked to be perhaps in his mid 50's and probably had a good thirty years patrol experience. But I will tell you that I see a whole lotta cops typing in on their laptops while driving.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymathboy View Post
I can see myself being pulled over for something else and the officer giving me crap/ticket because there is no VIN tag or VIN # on the car.

Most cops are cool. They work hard and they deal with the worst people in the world. However there are some cops who are cross your T and dot your i type people.

I just want to do the right thing.

Would the "right thing" be to simply install a VIN tag with a VIN number so you wouldn't have to worry about it any longer? Or, go find a highway patrol / state trooper and ask what the approved procedure is for your state?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobred View Post
Where did your vin. come from, is it a ffr car number that its registered from, was it issued from the state or is it a made up number? You can get a repro shelby plate you can stamp the vin. into then attach it to the drivers footbox under the hood. Make it easy to see for the police.
The state of SC gave me the VIN which cames from the C of O which FFR gave me.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just be really polite and friendly to them and you'll be fine. Unless you're doing something outrageously wrong, they're probably pulling you over because they're car guys and just want to see it up close. The last state trooper that pulled me over mostly walked around the car muttering to himself "this is a really nice car." I have yet to actually receive a ticket in my Cobra but, let me tell ya, it attracts cops like dogs to a butcher shop.
"Attracts Cops like dogs to a butcher shop"

I know. The first time I took my car out I parked in a parking lot and I was inside a store. I saw the cop car pull in and after 5 minutes he made his way over to my car. He was just a car guy and wanted to look at it. We talked for about 30 minutes and then he left. Sure made me nervous when I first saw him.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, in his defense, he sat behind me at a stoplight for about two minutes and I could see him typing in on his laptop before the light turned green and he threw on his lights. Very pleasant fellow, and no "spring chicken" by any means. He looked to be perhaps in his mid 50's and probably had a good thirty years patrol experience. But I will tell you that I see a whole lotta cops typing in on their laptops while driving.
Last time I was stopped (not in a Cobra as I don't have one yet!) the policeman called me by name as well.
I understand that here (South Australia) the police have number recognition software, scanning all the time. I don't have a problem with that either.
Incidentally I was stopped for having my fog lights on. It was late afternoon, in winter, with light rain.
Glen
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

First of all, I've never been stopped by a cop while driving the cobra. With that said, several cops have commented from their police cars at intersections, "Hey, I love your ride", "Don't worry I'll never give you a ticket..your car is too cool" etc. One time a couple of cops made a U-turn and came up to where I was parked, they asked me if they could look at the engine and then they just "bench raced' for about 10 minutes.
Cops love these things....Bill
I'm sure if I was going 125 MPH on the interstate the CHP would not only stop me, arrest me and haul the car off to an impound yard...but would shurely check the registration.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We had a policy against it, but like texting some people do stupid things. I worked for a very large department and could see the smaller ones not having a similar policy. We would also not use the computer while pulling a car over because it is not safe. I see alot of cops doing stupid things though, so bad officer safety does not surprise me.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

SPO,
Ya, those darn cops do a lot of silly things,,,Like putting a V-10 in a COBRA! ,,,"CobraEd", did you see where my donut went!? ( One of Thirteen hundred!)

DV