Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to agcobra
Not Ranked     
Default New 4 post lift

I just had installed a new 4 post lift from American Custom Lifts. I don't post often but wanted to share my experience. I did reasearch both with-in Club Cobra and on-line and decided on American Custom Lift. From my first call to Brad (I believe he is the owner) to the call from him today, to make sure that I was satisfied with the lift and Saturday's installation, I spoke with him personally. My initial call for information resulted in no sales pressure and he even said positive things about some of his competitors that I was considering. After talking to him and getting direct answers to my questions I placed an order right before Christmas. He indicated 4 to 6 weeks delivery and met that time frame. He even called me between Christmas and New Years while they were closed just to up-date me on the progress. I'm near San Antonio, Texas and he had the lift delivered from Fort Worth by the installers. About 3 hours after they arrived they were finished, cleaned up, and sure I was comfortable with the operation. In my opinion this lift is much sturdier, easier to operate, and hence safer than others I was considering. You owe it to yourself to at least check them out if you are in the market for a free standing 4-post lift.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I have been looking at 4 post lifts and the American Customs seem to be really nice. Did you compare them to the BendPak HD-9? Those are the two that i am considering. Agreed that Brad is a very good guy to deal with.

I'm no expert.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

i'm in the same boat as Lew; I was thinking of the BendPak HD-9 also. Why American Customs? how much did it cost? how much for installation?

were you able to see any of the other competitive offerings prior to your purchase? what can you say about the quality?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

is American Custom Lifts even made in the United States? Forgive me AGCobra, but when I looked at these lifts it was hard for me to get a straight answer and that was important to me. You are right though, having someone who you trust that represents the company is worth A LOT. In the end I went another route with my lift but for Lew and fastd D - I recommend you do all the research necessary. Not only will you most likely only purchase one lift in your lifetime, but there will be precious cargo above and below that baby.

AgCobra - Glad you joined the lift club, don't know how I ever managed without it.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

It is hard to tell which is the best built w/o seeing them in person. (Which I haven't really been able to do.) I would prefer American built, but I think that all of the 4 posters (maybe with the exception of Back Yard Buddy) are Chinese. I am not sure why, but the BYB "seems" to be less heavy duty looking in the pictures. It would be really helpful if the websites would list country of mfr AND the actual weight of the lifts. I would think that to some extent heavier = better in a 4 post lift.

Mohawk seems to be the beefiest in 2 post lifts, but they don't make a 4 post lift that will fit in my garage.

I'm no expert.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

Rotary lifts are welded right in Madison, Indiana. I even spoke to the welder. It is a very large, worldwide commercial organization. I have the Revolution and it is fine. I was poorer afterward, but very happy. I am still happy and I don't recall the price.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did all of my research on the internet and via phone. I am virtually certain that the lift is made in the good old USA. I'm not sure why finding this out would be difficult as Brad answered all of my questions without hesitation. In my opinion if you find a heavier or beefier lift it would only be overkill as this one is very heavy and strong. I have lifted and stored the cobra and my 31 model A steel street rod without problems. I have had it in for about a year and it is all that was advertised. As to the price I think it was around $5000 with perhaps 500 or 600 more for delivery and installation. This is from memory as I'm in Iraq right now and don't have access to my receipts but I think I am pretty close. Once again I have no connection to the company, thought it was the best choice for me, and have no regrets.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When looking at lifts keep a couple items in mind. If a failure occurs it will happent when raising or lowering. No way will any fail when sitting on the blocks. An 8000 lb car over 4 legs is 2000 lb per leg, what a joke when it comes to any type of steel. The only failures I have ever seen is when a pulley comes off, this allows the leg to kick out and then we have a problem. Most are held in place with a ring which is held in place with a set screw, as long as they stay tight no problem, oh if you are not mechanically inclinde enough to understand the working of the lift and inturn inspect you should not have one. I have a POS cheap chinese one, it has worked flawless and regularly put our Tahoe on it. I did calculation on ever fasterner assuming grade 1A, the weakest that nobody would imitate and every single one has a factor of safety of at least 8!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure if this is directed at my last response or not but just to clarify. All of the lift is heavy duty.... cables, hydraulics, pulleys, fastners... etc.... Not just the frame.And as i drive the cars regularly they have ben lifted up and down countless times. Sorry for not being more precise in my previous post.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My opinion is no lift will fail unless something comes loose. Everything is over designed because the components to build the lift are cheap cheap cheap. As long as you inspect everything you should have no issues with any lift.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

I have an Eagle lift, made in China. It is truly crap.

Once in a while, in spite of adjusting the release levers often and carefully, one will catch when I try to lower the lift. If it isn't noticed right away, it will tilt one of the ramps and the car will try to slide off the lift.

Scary.

The side posts are so flimsy they will bend if a tire touches them.

So be very very careful about which lift you buy. See it before buying if at all possible.

I bought this one because a friend had an older one made in the US that was fine. Before I bought mine, they began making them offshore. I didn't ask...

One of these days I'll scrap this one and get a safer one.

Be forewarned! There's more that one way these can be dangerous.

Tom